Neck-thru

I want to copy a Mockingbird body style with a neck-thru and laminated top. Do I just trim the body end of the blank and wings down by the thickness of the top then just glue it on? It makes sense, but I just want a little advice before I wreck some nice wood. Here's what I'm going for:

Any advice before I get going?

By the way, does anyone have the nut width and fingerboard width at the bridge end on a Mockingbird?

Edited by sexybeast

Yeah, a neck-through is tricky. You will have to know what thickness you want to achieve in the end before you start -it's tough to plane things down after they're all assembled and glued. If you haven't already done so, a detailed side drawing should be your first order of business. That way you can layout your neck angle (if any), string height above the body, bridge and nut heights... all that stuff is critical to understand before you ever cut a piece of wood.

Use the search feature too. :D There's loads of stuff about all these issues.

I have an old NJ bolt-on Mockingbird (in pieces :D ). I don't know if the neck specs will be the same as the neck-through but I can probably get widths at the nut and 24th fret if you want.

Thanks for the info, toddler, I'm working on the plans as I write this. If you don't mind, the measurements from your nut and bridge end of the fingerboard would be a great help.

BTW, I could probably draw the Moderne for you but it would take some time to do with my eyes squeezed shut. That guitar is UG-LEEE, man. :D:D

I'm about to put a bubinga top on an old Carvin V220. It will only be about 3/16" thick, though. Nothing really thick and carved like that Mockingbird. The Carvin already has pretty high strings and a good neck angle. So I'm going to let the new top be a little higher than the original surface. Basically I'm going to overhead route the thickness away and clean it up by hand. That's the only way I can see getting a perfect, uniform thickness across the whole guitar, since it's already been built. It would be a good idea to thin your sides to final thickness before you install them Then you just have to level the center to match the sides. That can be routed with jigs, or from overhead.

Thanks for the info, toddler, I'm working on the plans as I write this.  If you don't mind, the measurements from your nut and bridge end of the fingerboard would be a great help.

OK. Located the Mockingbird neck tonight. Width at the nut is 1.680 inches. Width at the 24th fret is 2.265 inches. Hope this helps :D