Things I learned building a kit...

1. Always sand and seal no matter what they say... Sandable sealer or primer is a must... depending on what kinda paint your gonna use.. especially if you've been handling the guitar after you seal... you will have oil off your skin that won't dry after you paint.. you'll see blotches... I almost cried when I had a great paint job and only flaws is the oil under it never dried...

2. Paint when it's not bad hot or humid... I got a bad case of orange peel that had to be sanded way down... with 400 grit... and ended up going to the primer in some places.. thus gonna have to repaint it...

3. Learn to cut better with the scroll saw before doing the headstock.. or if you slow down you'll have burn marks in your wood if not using the right blade and speed...

4. Take it easy on the sanding in the polishing phase... especially the edges... I got into the primer on the edge of one of the horns... YIKES... but if I would have gotten rid of the orange peel and painted more coats with the right environment I probably wouldn't have had this problem.. because I had to get the surface lvl...

5. ALWAYS,,, I MEAN ALWAYS.... Check to see if everything you buy or get will fit on the guitar.. example... I didn't check to see if the new Sperzel tuners was any different size... and so I painted the headstock and was finished when I realised what a grave mistake I had made.. I'm still crying about this mistake..

All in all it was a good experience and one that will help me get better on my next guitar... Thanks to all the help from this site.. I didn't make as many mistakes as I thought I would make...

Matt

I read all those things before I started and still made alot of the mistakes.. lol... I guess the worse thing you can do to set yourself up for failure.. is to think your gonna do a perfect job on it the first one you build... Another thing I will never do is rush the final stages of the finish work.. and let it set for at least a week or two... before I sand and polish the last time. Guitar building isn't something your rush through... It's Patience Patience and Patience... something I didn't realise as much till I experienced it myself.... So yeah.. no matter how hard you try.. your gonna make some mistakes.. or at least I did...

Matt