Screwed

Mickguard

One of my first misguided ebay purchases was for a set of lipstick pickups, oversized like the Kent Armstrongs.

Only problem is the seller didn't provide the screws for them.

So here I am with a pair of pickups I can't mount --I've tried every pickup screw I've come across (from at least 10 different pickup types) and not a single one matches these holes.

I've tried specialty electronics stores....nadda.

So what to do? How easy is it to drill new screwable holes? Do I need a special tool for that? (in which case, fuhgeddabouti)

Of course, I learned my lesson, and I always make sure whatever I buy comes with all its mounting gear...

It's very easy to drill new screwable holes. You drill a hole and then thread (tap) it. You will need a special tool, but it's a very cheap tool - it's basically a little screw with really sharp threads that you twist into the hole and it cuts new threads. It's called a "tap" (it makes tapped holes, i.e. threaded) and for any single given size it costs between $5-15. You'll need a "tap wrench" also to turn the thing through the hole, but at home depot they're around $8.

Pick out a mounting screw you know is readily available and is larger than what's already there (i.e. won't fit into the holes already there), and find out it's size - it'll be something like 1/16"x32 where 1/16" is the diameter of the outside of the threads on the screw (major diameter) and 32 is the number of threads per inch. You WILL NOT be drilling a 1/16" hole, though - that diameter is the outside diameter of the threads. You need to drill a hole equal to or slightly larger than the "minor diameter," which is the inside diameter of the threads.

For a tap that small, you may have to order it from a shop online - I doubt home depot would have it.

If you find out what size screw it is you want to use, I can help you figure out what size hole to drill and where to get the tap.

Edited by jnewman

I had a similar problem with a pair that I used. I mounted them to the body though, not to a mounting ring or pickguard.

I put the pickup on a piece of MDF and used the drill press to make the hole large enough for a small wood screw to go through freely. The MDF gave the pickup something to rest on while I pressed the drill down into it. It generated enough heat while drilling to scortch the MDF. Let the metal cool before you touch it. Blisters on the fingertips hurt when you try to play the guitar later. :D

This could be an option for you.

Jehle's option may actually be better for you as it requires a lot less effort :D. I forgot the fact that most pickup mounting tabs are made out of really soft metal - I'm sure wood screws would work fine.

You use a tap to make threaded holes for machine screws or bolts, which don't really have agressive enough threads to cut into even the soft metal in pup mounting tabs - steel wood screws would cut their way in no problem.

No. Quit looking for "pickup screws" and go to the hardware store, pickup(or even better) guitar in hand. There are a bunch of metric, SAE, ASME, whatever machine screw threads out there and, even in France, you should be able to find some 6-32, 8-32, 5-56 or 4-40 screws that will hold that without drilling or forcing.

ROAD TRIP!!!!

No. Quit looking for "pickup screws" and go to the hardware store, pickup(or even better) guitar in hand. There are a bunch of metric, SAE, ASME, whatever machine screw threads out there and, even in France, you should be able to find some 6-32, 8-32, 5-56 or 4-40 screws that will hold that without drilling or forcing.

ROAD TRIP!!!!

Heh, did just that today...no luck...the smallest rod they had was still too big...

I did find the correct diameter screw on a set of pickups from some trash guitar from the 60s...only problem, the screws are like less than half an inch long...not very practical...

Actually, I'd rather not force the holes, in case I'll ever want to sell the pickup ---I do have some screws here that are slightly small in diameter --if I can find a few nuts to go with them, I should be able to rig something up. I'll have to mount the pickup into a small pickguard to make it work....hmm, time to dig around in my misc. nuts n' bolts box....

UPDATE:

I was digging around in my parts drawer and came across the bridge I'd taken off an old beater acoustic I took apart a while back...the bridge had two bolts on it, which attached to the guitar top.

Well, wouldn't you know....the bolts are the EXACT match for my pickups, and they're the right length.

So I guess I'm unscrewed now? :D