Can I Use This Wood?

I rescued an old coffee table in the hope that the top wood be ok to use for a guitar body. I am pretty sure it's mahogany and seems to be a single piece just big enough to do a guitar body, although only 3/4" thick, so would need a chunky top on it. Here's a pic

coftab.jpg

would it be ok to use? Any reason not to use it?

thanks,

chris

restore it to a coffe table for your shop and get a piece of mahogany from a wood supplier. In this forum you can get it from fryovani, BRT, and others. If you go to a local place you can get a one piece 8/4 (which is 2" thick) for about 25-30. Not worth the trouble to hack that table. And it will serve you its purpose.

I dont need a coffee table, and it's a bit naff anyway. The top is a nice bit of wood but the legs are just pieces of 2x1" with no decoration or anything. I supose I could do it up but I'd rather be doing guitar related stuff so it'll probably end up being used for that..

cheers,

chris

What I would do is cut it to a guitar shape, practice finnishing on it.....then put the legs back on and use it as a coffee table.

George

restore it to a coffe table for your shop and get a piece of mahogany from a wood supplier.  In this forum you can get it from fryovani, BRT, and others.  If you go to a local place you can get a one piece 8/4 (which is 2" thick) for about 25-30.  Not worth the trouble to hack that table.  And it will serve you its purpose.

Yea, I'd do the same. BRT has amazing prices. I guess you could, but also if you were to plane both sides a bit to use it, and put a top on it, you'd have about 1/2" left. Then it'd barely be there at all. Just buy it from another place. BRT will plane whatever piece you want for free. I got my mahogany under $50 including shipping. The decision's yours, but I don't think that even 3/4" would be enough. Good luck anyway!

-Matt

Never waste good material! Its great to see you are watching for wood to re-use. I don't think I would try to use it for a solid body because of its thickness, but how about re-sawing up some nice acoustic sets. It is probably well aged and stable. Just a thought.

If you do use it for a core. 1/4" back and 3/4" carved top might be an option. Although the Hogany will be less than 1/2 the overall body material. I am sure you will put it to good use.

Peace, Rich

Never waste good material! Its great to see you are watching for wood to re-use. I don't think I would try to use it for a solid body because of its thickness, but how about re-sawing up some nice acoustic sets. It is probably well aged and stable. Just a thought.

If you do use it for a core. 1/4" back and 3/4" carved top might be an option. Although the Hogany will be less than 1/2 the overall body material. I am sure you will put it to good use.

Peace, Rich

Good point, it would be good for an acoustic or possibly a semi-acoustic (archtop)

-Matt