Firebird Hybrid

The idea for this guitar came from the fact that I liked the 70s fender headstock nad the firebird body. The neck is a squier. The body is an alder from warmoth. I've painted it green with an aerosol spray. I'll try to post some pics. I need help on the finish though. i'm having difficulty painting the sides and I don't know what to finish it with. any help is greatly appreciated. I'm putting a pair of EMGs in it. Probably a 81/81 combo. The original idea for this project was to take a strat, overhaul the electronics and give it a new body. However, I'm going to have to buy a different tremolo than what came on the original strat (it's a squier, which is a stupid mistake on my part) The body is routed for a american standard trem but I tried a wilkinson that is my firend's and it will fit. So I'll probably get a wilkinson because I like those better. I'm probably forgettting something that everyone will remind me of but i think that's it. any comments, questions, accusations, or even general dissing is welcome. Like i said before I'll try to post pics. Thanks. :D

well to be honest I just like the body style and the balance of the firebird. I detest mini-buckers. They look like bucker wannabes (looks, not tone mind you). i could put a humbucker in the bridge that I took out of my LP goth (like '57 classic plus) but i have no neck pickup that's not an EMG other than SCs and a cheap old stock bucker. THat LP goth lead pup is the best OEM pup I've ever heard. Anyway back the subject, Green is my favorite color and if I bought the Epi firebird, I'd want different pups in it and there's not much selection as far as minibuckers go. I put the neck on it with the pickguard in place and I believe it creates a simple but striking look. THe control cavity is like the explorer, three in a row but there's a three way toggle inthe middle (again nonfirebirdesque with it not being on the pickguard). I may put and afterburner in the their too. If not, it will probably be a tone. enough rambling. again any advise, criticism, terrorist threats, or tips are welcome. :D

well to be honest I just like the body style and the balance of the firebird. I detest mini-buckers. They look like bucker wannabes (looks, not tone mind you). i could put a humbucker in the bridge that I took out of my LP goth (like '57 classic plus) but i have no neck pickup that's not an EMG other than SCs and a cheap old stock bucker.  THat LP goth lead pup is the best OEM pup I've ever heard. Anyway back the subject, Green is my favorite color and if I bought the Epi firebird, I'd want different pups in it and there's not much selection as far as minibuckers go. I put the neck on it with the pickguard in place and I believe it creates a simple but striking look. THe control cavity is like the explorer, three in a row but there's a three way toggle inthe middle (again nonfirebirdesque with it not being on the pickguard). I may put and afterburner in the their too. If not, it will probably be a tone. enough rambling. again any advise, criticism, terrorist threats, or tips are welcome. :D

The guy from the band Feeder plays some custom guitar with a Firebird body and a Strat neck (actually it's more like a Jaguar neck with block inlays), and I have to say it works (IMHO) and it's a design I've considered myself. Maybe you could Google an image search and see if you can find a pic of him to assess what the finished article might look like.

Re the pickups, if you don't want mini-humbuckers and humbuckers just don't seem to look right, have you thought of P90's?

I have seen the pictures... I think I'm gonna like this. It looked like the guitarist had a jag trem on it too. The body is almost painted. The green is somewhat close to sherwood green. Besides the white pickguard and the blackness of the EMGs, everything is going to be chrome. It kinda stinks that my idea wasn't original, though. Any suggestions as to what the finish should be. I was gonna put a light finish of nitro in the aerosol cans from stewmac. My resources are pretty limited and so is my budget. Thanks.