Stereo Input And Ob Pre-amp Questions

Oddball Lefty

Hi All.

Just found out that while my '81 Kramer XR7 came with some crappy Schaller humbuckers, It was listed in the catalog as being equipped with DiMarzio Dualsounds and a stereo input.

It has 4 jack and 3 switch holes, and I can see where the body was plugged with dowel in 2 places in the control cavity area.

Currently I have 2 EMGs but I might yank 'em and use 'em in another guitar.

So what I'm wondering is:

1. do the stereo inputs mean this thing came with an active pre-amp?

2. Where can I get a good active pre-amp suited for this guitar with coil-taps for dual passive humbuckers?

3. What sonic possibilities will open up for me with stereo input? What do I do with one? Plug it into 2 channels of an amp? Plug into 2 amps an once?

(I've only owned single-input guitars All with passive pickups until I EMG'd the Kramer with standard volume and tone controls, nothing with a onboard preamp)

Thanks, everyone!

How'd I miss this thread? :D

1. No. Stereo outputs simply mean (in this case) that each pickup had its own separate output.
  2. Preamps don't have anything to do with the coil-tapping - that switching should be done before the preamp. A forum search for onboard should point you towards info on some good preamps. Sorry, I'm too lazy to do it for ya! :D
  3. That's correct - the most currently popular use is to split piezos and magnetic pickups so they can be sent to different amps, but back in the day it was used for a lot more. Tom Petersson used to send a separate signal from each of his three pickups in his Chandler Royale 12 string bass to a different set of amps.
HTH! B)