Guitar Buy Off Of Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...gory=47067&rd=1

has anybody purchased one of these before. i was considering just buying one to mess with since it is fairly inexpensive. i could test some body work and fretwork on it at least and possibly some finish work. and if it were to turn out good, i would definately update all of the hardware and electronics. definately the pickups. i won't be out much if things go wrong, so i was wondering anybody elses opinion on these? thanks!

I haven built one personaly, but the reviews I read basically say the guitar is in major need of hardware and pickup upgrades, and the veneer is extreemly thin. Also heard of one instance where the neck screws are too long and went through the fretboard. Thats why I decided not to purchase one. Keep us updated, and good luck with the build

Do a search for Saga kits, there have been a bunch of threads about those and their other kits. All in all not a bad way to get your feet wet in building, but like I said, look up some of the other threads for in depth reviews. Oh and check out Brian at Universal Jems (the guy who makes this site possible) His link is on the main site, he carries them too.

George

i've built a few guitars in the past but have not really tackled the neck and going all out building one from scratch. So, i figured i would purchase something like this to just practice on and not be upset that i ruined a very expensive piece of wood, and maybe, with my woodworking and slim guitar building abilities and a couple upgrades, this could be a nice guitar. i would also like to test out some dyes for fiinish. And i figured since this is ready to go for paint, then it also would not be bad to "test" finishes on. I will have to do some more research before i purchase. I'll let you all know what i find out. thanks!

My opinion on these kits is that they're just not worth it.

If you want to practice finishing a guitar, then it makes more sense picking up a decent guitar (used) and stripping then refinishing that. You can also play with chopping up the body, if you like --that's how I got started. But at least you'll know that all the hardware fits properly --the word on some of these kits is that a lot of the parts don't actually fit together the way they're supposed to...

Actually, I suspect that what Saga's doing is that they're buying cheapo Asian knockoff parts BEFORE they're put together to become the Johnsons, Staggs, Squiers, SX, Jay Tursers, etc. that are all over the internet...

So you're essentially paying the same price --except YOU have to do all the work of putting it together. And you still have to hope that they gave you parts that goes together.

Anyway, wood isn't the expensive part of a guitar, unless you're talking that fancy flamed birdeye stuff...