Do I Have To

Yep, level sand it before you polish. If you've got a very, very smooth surface, go ahead and start with something like 1200 or 1500 grit, but I suspect you'll probably find that a bit slow (I generally start with 800). You want to make sure your whole finish surface is uniformly dull and unreflective post sanding, before you whip out the buffer.

Yep, level sand it before you polish. If you've got a very, very smooth surface, go ahead and start with something like 1200 or 1500 grit, but I suspect you'll probably find that a bit slow (I generally start with 800). You want to make sure your whole finish surface is uniformly dull and unreflective post sanding, before you whip out the buffer.

The only reason I don't start with 800 is because you will be chasing 800 grit scratche's for days. I generally spray the clear, sand it flat with 800 and spray again. The clear is usually dead flat, and I only have to sand with 1500 going up to 2000 then polishing.

But, whatever works for you I guess :D :D

it depends on so many things. I spray wildly. I get lumps and bubbles. I start with 320 then move up to 1500. Then I buff with Menza, then with the fine menza.

My first coats are thick, but the final spray should be very light and LGM is right on in terms of just going over it...