Rustins Plastic Coating Question

Just wondeirng if anyone here uses it and knows if when using my spray gun I can leave it for 30 to 60 mins without cleaning it. I know the stuff doesnt cure for 12+ hours and will redisolve during that time, just wondering if I can get away without cleaning the gun between coats.

cheers,

chris

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, definately.

I leave mine in my gun for 3-4 hours at a time without cleaning it out. If I need to leave it longer than that I clean the gun by blowing thinners through it. In cold weather you can leave it much longer - I've left it for as long as a month, though I don't recommend it - I'm happy to destroy my own rig, but I'd rather you kept your's intact :D

I also store my mixed PC in the fridge, which massively slows the curing process. I've kept it for several months without any apparent detriment to cure time or final cure hardness, but I only use it for touchups or drop fills - I'd rather have a fresh mix if I'm spraying a large area.

Sorry I wasn't on this one earlier, just back from a 2 week holiday and catching up on the postings (and the drama)!

Thats good, it'll save me hanging the gun with its nozzle in a cup of thinners like i did last week :D

Just read some of your website and have a couple questions about your loverly LP finish, if you dont mind. :D

Did you use grain filler?

Could you point out the spray gun you use from axminster, I've been trying with a 1.4mm gun, which i now think is too large for guitar work. Certainly not that easy to do a burst with it.

Did you get the Oxford PSL in the UK? Have you tried it yet?

cheers,

chris

Did you use grain filler?

I used liberon waterbased filler. I won't again; it left a lot of pores open, and is a bear to sand back. In the end, I had to sand back to mahogany and respray the colour and clear,so I effectively filled the grain with Rustins PC. I recommend a light coat of rustins to seal, then grain fill with epoxy, sand back to level, and start spraying.

Could you point out the spray gun you use from axminster, I've been trying with a 1.4mm gun, which i now think is too large for guitar work. Certainly not that easy to do a burst with it.

They don't sell it anymore,and they've even discontinued the replacement. Hmmm.... it was basically a cut price clone of the Badger 500 which Stew Mac used to sell. This is pretty much the kind of thing, different brand though:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p...01&r=2013&g=103

I think mine is around 1.4mm, and I've sprayed colours, clear and dyes with it, after experimenting with different pressures and paint flow settings.

Did you get the Oxford PSL in the UK? Have you tried it yet?

I got it from StewMac. I used it to finish one guitar, but was unhappy with the hardness, clarity, and adhesion to the binding. I suspect this was all down to failings by me, since I know of many folks who've made it work brilliantly, but given the choice I'd stick with the Rustins.

I am having problems with Rustins over epoxy (West System), it doesnt seem to dry properly, still slightly tacky 24 hours later, still soft 48 hours later. I did a test yesterday in case i mixed the rustins wrong and got the same result. So it doesnt seem to like West System.

Anyway i got some System 3 clear coat & Silica thickener from LMII today, so i'm going to try that, also going to see if mixing the Rustins & silica will work. <fingers crossed>

chris

• 2 weeks later...