New Wood

And Godin hasn't worked with CB long enough to know that it all darkens over time, and if you start out with darker reds, in 2-4 years it will be so dark you almost won't be able to see it anymore, so you absolutely picked the right color for your pieces. wink.gif

Now why diddn't you tell me this long ago?! :DB):D

The neck on my first guitar has already gotton MUCH darker than it was when I made the neck.

I'm thinking a carved top tele would look nice. Anything that doesnt require a deep carve because the wood isint that thick. Or you could just give it to me and well see how it looks on one of my body desings B)

PS: although CB is toxic and you should wear a mask always when working it does smell really good. I love the smell of that wood. mmmm :D

I have a real nice peice that has just been sitting out in the shop for who knows how long. My brother made a sweet violin chin rest out of it and it looks freakin awesome.

I'm saving it to make a sweet neck on a later project.

Edited by Godin SD

• 5 weeks later...

I need some more advice. Here is my current thought for the CB. A big ol' 335, Country Gentleman type shape to maximize the use of the CB. I've got some real nice 8/4 Walnut that I'm thinking of chambering (heavily) to get it down to a point that you can lift it. :D

Any advice is appreciated.

Drak, I've done some searches on finishing CB and haven't found anything. Any hints?

Thanks,

Marty

My two cents:

after seeing the wood and reading the thread all I could think about was a large carved top. I agree with you on the 335 (one of my altime favorite guitars). For the core of the body I am not sure that I would use the Walnut, I am thinking mor of a chambered mahogany, a carved figured maple back cap with a maple neck and Wenge fret board. To finish it I would stain the whole thing brown, sand it back to highlight any and all figure and grain then clear coat natural.

Hmm... I'd have to say no to the 335 type. This wood is too sleek and pretty for anything less than the sexiest guitar.

I'd say go for a lightly carved PRS-esque guitar with gold hardware and an oil finish. Depending on your playing style, maybe some cream P-90's?

Just my thoughts; I'm sure you'll do the wood justice.