Transparent black finish

Aloha!

I'm wanting to do a transparent black finish on my project guitar. It has a pine body { hehe... i know B) } and will soon have a fiddleback mahagony { basically like flame/quilt mahagony } top. I want the finish to look just like the trans black finish Ibanez puts on their BTB basses. I think the Schecter 007 7-string also has a finish like this. One of the biggest things i'm conerned about is the very obvious difference in the natural colors of the woods i'm using { pine is very light-colored... mahagony is medium reddish brown }. Would a trans black finish cover this well?

If anyone could offer me a step-by-step instructional on what to do { including the clearcot/laquer stage }, it would make me happy enough to where i just might pee myself. Oh, and if i can, i'd like to avoid using anything that i'd have to shoot out of a paintgun... i don't have one of those :D .

Thanks a bunch!

Ben

Thanks for the help, but i'm still a bit confused... B) ...

Do you mean that i'd throw my stain in with my clear, and essentially spray my stain and clear at the same time?

Also... What dye/stain would you use to do black, and what compatible clear would you put over it? I guess what i'm saying is, if you were doing this, how would you do it :D ?! I ask because your work always kicks so much ass.

Oh...and one last thing that i'm still unsure of... do i spray sanding sealer at any point during the entire finishing process? If so, when?

Thanks for all the help!!! :D

Ben

You can't use stain, you will have to use a compatible paint that you can mix with your clear, about 15% or so.

If you use a component based Poly clear, you can mix base coat poly into it, if you use laquer, you'll have to use a black laquer. Don't over mix it, use 15 to 20 %, if you want it darker, just put on a couple more coats. you will need to spray with a gun this way so that you can actually mix the paints together.

Yo!

Well, i've slightly changed my plans, so i must ask a few more questions!

I've found a neat olive green stain that i think i'm going to use instead of the black. This whole guitar is just an experement anyway, so i think i'll try something odd. I believe it's Minwax brand. I'm also thinking of doing the guitar in a satin finish after i stain it, much like some Warwick basses i've seen. How does one go about doing a satin finish over a stain? Just how does Warwick do it?

Thanks for all the help you've given me, Jeremy! If this project is a success, then i think i'm going to make a replica of it out of a nicer wood { probably alder }, and do it gloss transparent black instead!

Thanks!

Ben