Jaguar Pups

Deadat20

To anyone who knows guitars (I know very little.....Im a drummer). My uncle recently gave me his 67 Vintage jag.......and I already have a 95 Japanese Reissue. So Im thinking about replacing the pickups in my Jap-Jag with minihumbuckers. I originally wanted full size humbuckers.....but realized it would be foolish if I ever wanted to put the originals back in, plus no one seems to be interested in routing it for me (?). But the question is.....has anyone done this?

And if so, what would be ideal for a hard rock/punk sound. Ive been looking around, and Im leaning towards Dimarzio, but I cant find sound bits, so I dont know what to get. I want to replace the pickguard (a new black one) and thought Id try out some new pups too. Im looking for a crisp/thick sound, with very little mid tone.....preferably without a chrome exterior.....maybe cream coloured. (I was going to buy a Jag HH......but I think they are hideous). So If anyone has any input, I would very much appreciate it. If its a bad idea.....just say so! And please forgive me if I sound inexperienced....because I am. Thanks!

Well, first of all, welcome to the forum.

Second, have you checked under the pickguard to see if the body is already routed for full-size humbuckers? If so, all you need is a new pickguard with humbucker-sized routs and the pickups, of course.

If not, there are a plethora of mini-humbuckers that'll work. My personal favorites are the Seymour Duncan JB Jr. or Hot Rails. The JB Jr. is a little more vintage sounding and very controllable under distortion. The Hot Rails is very high-output and would probably be your best bet for punk or high-output, Mesa Rectifier-style rock.

BTW, both Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio have soundbytes for most of their line on their websites.

Edited by crafty

So I could put strat pickups in a Jag!....they have special Jag pickups....but I dont like the sound. I checked out the two mentioned... they sound good. I like the JB Jr. but the Hotrails (maybe it was just the sample) dont seem to be very crunchy. Now if you say they can be, then thats what Ill go with.......

I prefer the JB Jr., myself. The Hot Rails is a bit wooly for my taste and I think distortion and gain should come from a clean pickup through a dirty amp. A good combo may be the JB Jr. in the bridge and a Lil' '59 in the neck.

Also, check with Duncan to make sure they'll fit. I'm pretty sure they will because the Jag pickups are only slightly larger than Strat pickups, but make sure they fit up to your pickguard before you solder anything. You may have to use some shims under them since they screw into the wood, too. You may want to just order a new pickguard from WD with the Strat pickup routes.

Edited by crafty