Bold On Question...

Hi

I got my stuff from stewmac today (kudos, took 'm only 6 days to get it here), and I finalized my full scale drawings. I've taken measurements from various guitars but the heel turned out to be a mindbender;

The thickness of it varies between 22-25 mm on various necks. By drawing it all out I noticed that the thickness is related to the thickness left when routing the pocket. So the uhm :D base of the neckpocket (?) would get thicker when the heel gets thinner... I think. I'm using the hotrod on this one and routing depth is 11 mm, is there a minimum thickness for the heel?

I *did* use the searchengine, but couldnt find anything relating :D

TIA

jP

You can use a thinner heel if you neck pocket isn't as deep, its all relative as you say. Keep the heel on the the thicker side of those measurements, you can allways trim down. What type of guitar are you building? what type of bridge are you using? Neck angle. The minium for the heel must be more that about 13mm not including your fingerboard.

I'm using the hotrod on this one and routing depth is 11 mm, is there a minimum

You mean you can't route deeper than 11 mm?

If so, that's going to cause you a lot of problems. You're better off getting a router that can go as deep as you need it to.

And here I was moaning today because I couldn't coax my router to go 40 mm...

idch :D

no I meant the hotrod needs an 11 mm routing depth, I mentioned that to make clear thats how deep it'll go in there, regarding neckthickness at heel.

I'm Dutch, my english is pretty crappy and trying to explain what I mean is even worse so it seems :D

and yes, my table and plunge routers can go deeper than that...

TIA

jP