Installing New Tuners.... How To Get Them Lined Up

im about to put a new set of tuners on a guitar i have, but i dont want it to look like one of those gibsons at guitar center. whats the best way to get all the tuners lined up properly? the tuners came with an edge guide, which doesnt really work for a gibson style headstock........ since it isnt flat on either side like a fender style headstock.

What are you talking about?

Which guitar? Is this a guitar that already has tuners or is it a guitar you're building?

Does this guitar have 3 on both side tuners (like those Gibsons in Guitar Center) or does it have six on one side (like dem dar Fenders)? Are you talking about converting the guitar?

What tuners did you buy?

Hey, it is 3x3, i was hoping for a slight contour, it is a gibson style headstock. there were tuners before, but they didnt work so well. the tuners i have to put on are sperzel locking tuners. they just have a post that bites into a hole that you drill, no screw. unfortunately, it is on the opposite side of the tuner hole as the screw hole.

Edited by jaguarcat311

Ah okay, that's different. Welcome to the world of non-retrofit tuners.

You can drill new holes for the sperzels, sure. Personally, I'd just use a gimlet since the holes won't be too deep. But then, I'm partial to gimlets. :D

Your choice as to whether you fill the old screw holes.

You can also go look for tuners that will retrofit without new drilling. Have you looked at Stewmac? They have spec sheets for their tuners that will give you an idea of what will fit. Here's the link

Here's what I do with tuners that have locating pins. Right or wrong, it works for me.

Put the tuner in the hole. Thread the nut onto the shaft, but do not tighten it yet. Line it up where you want it. Repeat x 5. Carefully tighten the nuts so the pins make an indentation in the back of the headstock. Remove the tuners. Then take a drill bit slightly larger than the diameter of the pin and wrap a piece of masking tape around it to mark the depth of the hole you want to drill. Drill the holes for the pins.

The slightly larger drill bit gives me a little wiggle room to adjust the alignment of the tuners.

If you are having problems situating the exact hole positioning its best to make a full sized drawing of your headstock. Draw the hole positions with precision. Experiment with whatever style looks best to you, eg. following the curves or straight. Then cut out the headstock "template" and tape it onto the actual headstock. Centerpunch your hole positions (be VERY precise) through the paper into the headstock. Drill holes with a drill press.