Binding Problem

I have HEARD of people doing it with a dremel and that tube shaped attachment. But other wise you could possibly use a router, rocking it over the curve, but take EXTREME care if you do that, im gonna try it on scrap before doing it.

You can use the small attachments for the Dremel, but you have to go very slowly and take small cuts in each pass since the Dremel and its bits are pretty lightweight for routing.

You can start with the smallest router base you can (laminate trimmer if available) and add some wedges to the base to allow it to sit flush... and you have to adjust the depth as necessary. You need to find a way to keep the router flat, or the binding channel, and thus the binding, will be angled. Of course the best way to do this is with an overarm router, but few people happen to have one of those around. Of course it can be done by hand too, with a little care, skill and some hand tools.

I used this Dremel guide to cut the binding channel on a LP style body (because I was stupid and didn't cut the channel before I carved the top). I had to take several passes to get it done (it was a 7 layer binding) but it came out great, even around the horn. It's a little scary because it isn't very stable, but it can be done if done with care. Good luck.