masking

I figured I would need to remove the locking nut and possibly the string retainer when I finish my neck. unless I want clear on them for some weird reason... but, the truss rod won't be going anywhere. do I need to mask it off? and the holes for the string retainer and the tuners. should I be maskng those off or just pray that everything will work out fine?

in short: what do I need to mask off and what can be left as is?

I would mask the truss rod, just to be sure. You need to do this especially if you're going to be applying lots and lots of coats of laquer. As long as you put thin coats on each time (no drips) you don't need to mask the tuning machine holes. Otherwise, mask the holes so the laquer doesn't make drip marks on the other side. I wouldn't bother to mask where the string retainer goes.

Hope this helps :D

how about the locking nut area? it just came to me that putting finish here might result in the locking nut being slightly out of place... but since it's an all maple neck it would probably need to be finished in this area as well, right?