Replacing Inlays, Too Much Work?

Bytrix

I'm about to start a project guitar (using a cheap Warrior shape guitar as the base, stripping it down, and doing it up as I like). The 24 fret neck is inlayed with dot markers.

I was wondering if it would be possible to remove these and replace them with trapezoid inlays (don't ask me why, I just prefer trapezoids over dots and sharkfin).

I've looked at the proces of putting in dot markers in a new neck, but not trapezoids, and was wondering if it's much harder to be able to replace the dots with trapezoids.

Thanks for any help :D

It is possible, but would be quite a bit of work. In addition to the refret job as Batfink points out, you'd have to route out the dots while making your trapezoidal inlay pockets. This will all be more difficult on an already built neck because the fretboard is already radiused and the neck back has already been profiled making it difficult to hold the neck steady while routing, etc.

My suggestion is to learn to love, or live with, dots. :D

Alternatively, you could make or buy a replacement neck with trapezoid inlay. Don't know about this guitar so don't know if has a bolt on neck, which would make neck replacement easier.

Its no trouble at all. Fretboard already radiused?? Who cares... Neck shaped?? chuck it in a curved neck support, and/or leave it attached to the guitar... Plastic dots need to be routed out??? so what, they are softer than the surrounding wood usually...

Agreed. However, your response carries with a level of sophistication in technique and readiness missing from the original post.

I stick with my post.

Well thanks, I've decided to keep the guitar as it is for now and instead build one 'from scratch' with my own inlays instead  :D  Still got alot more reading ahead of me though.

I hope that you will enjoy building your own. Word of warning - its addictive. :D

Best of luck.

Yeah well that's kinda what I'm planning on, use this cheap thing as my testbed as I'm not too bothered if I do something to it and it becomes unplayable. :D I'm saving up to move into a bigger place at the moment, hopefully with a garage where I can work on my project, so for now I'm just finding out about all the ways to make a body, and which I'm gonna try, what neck type, 22 or 24 frets, scalloped or not (I really wanna have a go at scalloping, but everyone I've talked to with a scalloped guitar say it's cool for a while then they never play it

:D