Finishing Schedule Question?

knighty76

Hi everyone! Topic title and description probably doesn't explain too well... what I'm wondering is whether there is a downside to taking breaks between applying finish coats.

For example, I might want to apply my lacquer coats 3 a day for 5-7 days, depending on how thick I can get it on. if I don't have available to me 7 straight days where I can apply the finish, or the weather breaks up the schedule, is there any problem if I have to leave a few days between applying the next set of coats? Does it cause problems if the intermediate lacquer coats are allowed to cure excessively before you get the next ones on?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Rich (Knighty76).

Really shouldn't be an issue. It's a bit more problematic with some of the waterbased stuff, apparently (KTM, at least. Mike Doolin reccomends shooting a coat of denatured alcohol on the next day to 'soften' the finish slightly and make sure the new coats burn in), but nitro's pretty damn forgiving.

If you're doing nitro over a week's period it really isnt worth it. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it but I never spray for more than 3 days max. That's doing about 5 coats a day and I only usually do around 10-12 coats of nitro.

Nitro is pretty nice to spray, and if the weather breaks, good! It will allow the coats you sprayed to gas off a little bit more.

If you're doing nitro over a week's period it really isnt worth it. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it but I never spray for more than 3 days max. That's doing about 5 coats a day and I only usually do around 10-12 coats of nitro.

Nitro is pretty nice to spray, and if the weather breaks, good! It will allow the coats you sprayed to gas off a little bit more.

How do you guys spray multiple coats in a day and still get proper curing? If I try to do more than one coat a day, my finished product will be a really soft finish. I'm in california, the weather doesn't get much drier.

I spray rattle can poly's from the hardware store mostly. Any suggestions on a nice fast hard clear poly?

How do you guys spray multiple coats in a day and still get proper curing? If I try to do more than one coat a day, my finished product will be a really soft finish. I'm in california, the weather doesn't get much drier.

I spray rattle can poly's from the hardware store mostly. Any suggestions on a nice fast hard clear poly?

I use heatlamps to cure my finishes now...before I would have to wait a few weeks with nitro though...