Inonation Difficulties

Hello,

Recently I've put new strings on my guitar, and I did a setup and adjusted the intonation. Most of the strings are now perfect, but the low E and G strings are about 15-20 cents sharp and the bridge saddles are adjusted all the way back for maximum string length. I think the problem is that I had previosly used 11 guage strings and they seem to have cut into my nut at the part near the tuners. Is there any way I can fix this, or should I just get a new nut? If I buy a new nut, is there anywhere I can get one cut for my string guages? (010, 013, 017, 036, 052, 060)

It doesn't sound like the problem is from the nut.

If the strings cut into the nut at the side near the tuners, the leading edge of the nut (fretboard edge) will be higher and that is where the break angle will be - which is where it should be.

The problem seems strange. With the lighter strings you have now (10's instead of the previous 11's) you'd expect that the saddles would have to come further forward to intonate properly, not back.

Hopefully some of the more experienced builders can be of more help.

Brian.

I forgot to add that I had the same difficulties when I put the 11s on and tried to intonate. But I really can't remember having a problem before that. Also, the strings I use now are 10s on the top half, but the wound strings are much much thicker (but they don't really give me a problem, only the low E). The low E really isn't that big of a deal since it's only off maybe 12 cents, but the G string is really killing me. It's still sharp almost 25 cents and it's really bugging me. Anyone else have any suggestions? Earvana maybe?

assuming that the saddle springs are still in place you might remove the g spring and see if that gives you enough movement to intone it properly. if it does drop a bit of lock tite on the threads to keep it in place and you're good to go.

Stay away from the locktite and just cut of a small piece of the spring!!

Also: check the string angle over the bridge sadles. I had a similar problem when changing between string brands (on a 5-string bass, but you might get the same problem). I noticed that on the B-string the string, when tuned to pitch actually didn't followed a straight line from the bridge to the nut. It was slightly curved!!! IMPOSSIBLE to intonate. I just pressed lightly on the string to kreate a small kink over the bridge saddle and I was able to intonate properly.

Probably a more common problen on basses but check it out