Catalyst Urethane

scottyd

yeah ive used flex add on plastic bumper covers and such, but what a lot of prople dont understand is that after the paint fully cures out the additive stops working, its mostly just for installation of the plastic parts right after painting, the paint wont stay flexible for long

I sold GM parts for years and worked with a lot of body/paint shops. I've seen who knows how many urethane bumper covers in all states of disrepair and almost all of them had the paint intact.

The flex agent is in there to keep the paint from cracking and peeling under normal wear.

nah all it does is slow down the curing process to give you a better window of time to install the parts.......cause once the paint fully cures its gets really hard, if the parts are already installed you dont need it, but this is besides the point, i dont see any need for it on a guitar.......i test sprayed some remnent wood and it turned out great, cant wait to the whole thing!

Edited by scottyd

nah all it does is slow down the curing process to give you a better window of time to install the parts.......cause once the paint fully cures its gets really hard, if the parts are already installed you dont need it, but this is besides the point, i dont see any need for it on a guitar.......i test sprayed some remnent wood and it turned out great, cant wait to the whole thing!

I don't know what product brand or 'flex agent' you're using, but here's what PPG says:

"The FLEXATIVE System, applied as recommended, will present a cohesive coating

that will withstand the customary abuse of impact and flexing. The repair paint film will follow the contour of the base part, when flexed or compressed, and return to normal appearance as the base part recovers to its original shape."

Sorry, but I think you're mistaken. :D

no there not wrong they just want you to pay an extra 50-75 dollars for a placebo that will give YOU peace of mind call around to your local body shops and ask them..........urethane doesnt need it the bumpers themselves are made of urethane do you see them cracking?