Mahogany Custom

I picked up a shopping cart full of scrap (plywood, MDF, etc.) for 10 euros..:filled up my car...I'm set for a couple of years... :-D So I'd recommend asking in the back of the wood department if they sell/give scrap...no point in wasting good pine! :D

I don't know if I'd have the patience to do a complete prototype of the guitar...instead, I just practice each move, one at a time --when I've got that, I switch to the real thing...that way I'm making some actual progress...

Right now I'm in the template making stage (this is a big lesson I learned from my last project --you gotta have a template). I'm using one of those follower bits (don't know what it's called in English, the French call it a 'fraise a affleurer' ) it has the bearing at the bottom...so you put your wood on top of the template, not the other way...works really well too.

I'm using one of those follower bits (don't know what it's called in English, the French call it a 'fraise a affleurer' ) it has the bearing at the bottom...so you put your wood on top of the template, not the other way...works really well too.

That's what we call a flush trim bit - used to trim laminate off kitchen worktops.

Make a guitar out of the Pine AND the Mahogany. ^__^ Then you'd have two custom-made guitars

I'm not sure a pine guitar would A: Sound very good or B: stay in one piece very long!

I don't know if I'd have the patience to do a complete prototype of the guitar...instead, I just practice each move, one at a time --when I've got that, I switch to the real thing...that way I'm making some actual progress...

I know what you're saying but i can use the prototype for future templates (chop it into slices) so my master doesn't get damaged - I plan on making a few of these as my local guitar shop said he likes the design - if all goes well, I'll do one and he says i can put it in his window - if it sells he takes a % if not, it sits there!

I also want to make sure that (seeing as i've done little wood work before) each process is in an order where it doesn't affect the next - eg Routing something and leaving a weak bit to rout around on the next item etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates but i've forgotten to take pics whilst working! DOH!

So....

I've made the body and stained it - then laquered so I need to polish still.

There's a solid bridge and a single coil (Dean markley) with only a volume and a jack socket on a chrome plate (not got the plate yet). All hardware is chrome - pickup black.

The pics are crap as they're from my phone but you should be able to make out the AANJ type thingy, the flame (sort of) on the front and the back is actually brown BUT it looks totally black here - the sides are JET BLACK.

Rear

IMAGE_073.jpg

AANJ

http://www.signworks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/...m/IMAGE_074.jpg

http://www.signworks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/...m/IMAGE_078.jpg

3/4 view

http://www.signworks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/...m/IMAGE_075.jpg

Front

http://www.signworks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/...m/IMAGE_076.jpg

Edited by chunkielad

I see you front routed the control cavities, so does that mean this is going into pickguard territory because I love guitars with pickguards but i don't know how well it will fit into this design. I really like the outline shape though, but i definately woulda floyded it and put some humbuckers. but thats just the fact that im a 16 year old pimply faced metal head like idch said would like that design :D

I really like the outline shape though, but i definately woulda floyded it and put some humbuckers. but thats just the fact that im a 16 year old pimply faced metal head like idch said would like that design :D

:D

The reason i didn't Floyd it is because my other guitar has a floyd and this was to give me something different - No scratch plate though! The pickup will be straight into the hole and there's a chrome plate going over just the control cavitiy (a bit like on a Tele)

Cheers - all I did on the finish was rub red mahogany on the back, followed by the black (only one coat of each dye - this gave a nice deep brown) then when dry, rubbed it with a dry cloth to get rid of excess.

On the front, i Stained black (one coat- this has a purple hue to it) and lightly sanded so that the grain popped a bit.

After the sides were coated 3 times in black, I cleared over. Then more black on the sides and clear etc - until the sides were solid black.

The front is actually a flamed English Sycamore veneer but you'd never know as all joins are covered by the blackness - evenin the pickup hole. The control cavity will have a plate over it. :D

Edited by chunkielad