Bought A Cheap Acoustic

psw

G'day...

I had need of a cheap guitar. While I really like my old jap epi, especially the neck I was looking at some kind of pickup for it and nothing really grabbed me.

So I was testing out some piezo stuff on guitars and found that there were some really neat installations in cheap guitars and, you could practically get the whole guitar for the price of the pickup installed in my guitar.

So anyway....found a cheap new guitar...a new Ashton (designed in Australia, built in China)...which has a similar pickup system to some Samick stuff 4 band eq mid FB buster and chromatic digital tuner.

OK so the guitar's a ply top, but at A$250.00 what do you expect. It's got a really pretty tabbacco burst flame maple veneer and a small shaply cutaway body but it really looks the business (to the non afficianado, ie the audience) and plays well and sounds great plugged in.

So...check out some of these student guitars out there. There were a few that impressed (Cort was another).

But beware, I saw the same guitar at one place and was impressed by the look sound and pickup, but it wouldn't play above the 10th fret due to a banana neck. I'm actually quite confident of the one I found, but you may have to find the odd good one in a batch.

Not high in quality but it's amazing how good a cheap guitar (as long as it's set up nice, action, etc.) can sound if you play it well and it's great to have something you can toss into the back of the guitar and play anywhere on your travels...or plug it in!!!!

see you round

pete

oh...here's a pic/link...it's an SL29CEQ...nice if you can find one built to play...watch out!

Ashton SL29CEQ

Try putting on a set of Elixer Nanowebs and see if it doesn't sound better. I haven't found an acoustic that doesn't see at least a little improvement in the top end with a set. I love acoustic guitars, but it's one of the few areas where I'm actually kind of snobbish but still value minded. I love me $150 Squier electric and even my 80's plywood warlock copy, but I'd kill to keep my Tacoma DM9 acoustic. One of my biggest pet peeves is acoustic electrics that sound like utter crap unplugged. They're dead; muted mids only with no treble and no bass. Just mushy mids. Yuk!

Anyway, good on you for finding a nice one. I'd love to check them out, as I love a good value, but I haven't seen anything that indicates we get them here in the states.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

No luck on Aston's in the States I'm afraid but there really is a wealth of stuff by all those brands mentioned...BTW that's $250 australian...take off 30% for $US!!!

It doesn't play quite as well as the old epi nor sound as good but a little tinkering...and I just changed to elixers and was impressed with them on the epi so when these strings have to go, I'll be stringing up in style too...

see ya

psw