Rocket 350

Mickguard

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Here's where the heel is right now: th_350glue3Large.jpg

In the meantime, I'm trying to work out the best way to shape the heel (the part closest to the headstock) in order to 'embed' it properly into the neck extension--feel free to offer suggestions (drawings/diagrams too) if you have any.

Idch, nice progress so far.... havent been able to keep track of it as ive been at school....

if you havent already shaped the neck - I have done the exact same thing as you by adding a slab to the bottom of the neck and i have finished shaping mine to the neck i already had. i used a round file and a half round file to do all the work then sandpaper, it took me 6 hours but i didnt want to mess up so thats why i used files becuase they are slow and presice

just take your time

:D

just take your time

I'm in no hurry.... :D

So have you mounted your neck yet?

no not yet, i am still yet to remove the fretboard, cut the tenon, fill in the old neck pocket cavity and cut the new one.

ive been taking progress pics so i will show you when i have got the tenon cut into the body.

keep up the good work

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Idch,

Are you planning on doing any more reinforcement on your neck joint?

th_350neckjointbasssidecloseupLarge.jpg

Maybe it's just that pic, but, it looks like very little of the old bolt-on neck is glued into the body. It looks like the bolt-on is held to the guitar by the glue joint to that heel extension you used to make your tenon. If that's the case, you've essentially just glued the neck to the face of the guitar.

With a set neck, the strength of the glue joint is on the sides of the tenon, not the bottom. Glue joints are strongest in shear. They don't work well when the forces are pulling or peeling the glueline apart. Imagine a neck-thru guitar routed for a trem and a pickup. There's no bottom to that "tenon". All the neck bending forces have to go through the gluelines on the sides of the center block, into the sides, as the loads go around the p/u and trem routes. The loads go back across the gluelines on the side to go back into the center block to the bridge.

Seriously consider putting a couple screws from the body up into the neck.