Anybody Have A Tacoma Neck ?

Getting ready to do a re-fret on this, but there's an "issue" that's bugging the hell out of me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/soa...at/tacoma_3.jpg

part of the heel has had a taper sanded into it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/soa...at/tacoma_2.jpg

Laying a straight-edge, shows the biggest part of the gap at the very end is .043"

Then with string tension after a few days, the gap is .029".

My problem : Was this done at the factory, or some hack mod ? If it's factory, I probably want to leave it be, if it's a hack job, I want to make it gone.

(and I even figure the "hacker" could very well be a PG member :D )

The Tacoma company is apparently in some sort of "transition" right now, and emails are bouncing back. I doubt a phone call would get me anywhere either.

My best luck would be if someone had a Tacoma neck that they could just look at and see whether or not it has had any of this kind of sanding done to the heel. That would give a pretty good answer to my question.

I know slim chance I'll get an answer. I think I've only gotten an answer 1 time to an important question here. :D

Yep, just got bought by Fender, and the rumors flying around are that all new Tacoma guitars will be built in Korea like the Olympia guitars were, not Washington state. I have no idea if that's true or not, but I wouldn't put it past Fender. Tacoma does a much better job of building acoustics than Guild, but Guild will likely be their high dollar brand. Tacoma will be their import mid-range brand. Sad, since they were the best bang for the buck in a US made acoustic.

I don't know if it's intentional or not, as my Tacoma has a set neck.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

It's the first Tacoma I've had my hands on, and it's also the straightest (well behaving) neck I've worked on in at least 2 years. The truss-rod works great. Even with the "issue" at the heel (changing .010"), the T-rod seems to correct anything that causes the fret-board to change shape with minimal adjustment.

Fret-work is not great, assuming it's factory (looks like someone might have practiced fret-dressing on it).

Customer wants huge "6000" size frets on it. :D