How To Put And Cut Strings ?

Demian

Guys, I Have been doing a search, reading PG tutorials and reading some outside notes, but could find what I was looking for. :D

Last, I was restringing without cutting the ball heads and put it them in the headstock direction and leaving the rest of the not used string along.

In other words, I dont cut the excessive string neither the ball head, just cut (for the higher strings only) the thinner part of them.

So, A luthier told me that is a wrong method of putting the strings because it could have intanation and setup problems, Is that true? :D

In that case, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY OF PUTTING THE STRINGS FOR FLOYD ROSE TREMS ? should I cut the ball head of each one? Do I have to cut the excessive part of the string that I`m not going to use?

THANX;

Demian.

So, A luthier told me that is a wrong method of putting the strings because it could have intanation and setup problems, Is that true? :D

No, sounds like this 'luthier' is a little (trying to be nice) misinformed!

String gauge is string gauge, string tension is string tension. As long as the same strings are used, the guitar setup is not going to be affected by the direction of ball-end.

MOST strings are not designed to be direction dependent. Commonly Floyd users do thread with the ball-end on the tuners side.

Do yourself a favor and not ask that person questions, from the sounds of it, they do not have a clue what they are talking about. :D

The only issue that I can think of is that you can have tuning problems if you wrap excess strings around the tuning pegs. The more string around the pegs, the more likely for slippage and loss of tuning, thought it's probably negligable with a locking nut.

I put my strings on backwards by threading them through the pegs then down to the bridge and cutting off the excess on the non-ball end, then threading that into the bridge. I cut the extra string off because it just gets in the way when youc change strings, and only takes a second to clip. On non-locking trems like my strat, I run it through the block, up through the bridge, up through the pegs and then cut off anything that goes more than 1" past the peg hole. Again, the more excess string you have around the peg, the more likely the chance of losing tuning stability due to string stretching and movement around the peg.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

The only issue that I can think of is that you can have tuning problems if you wrap excess strings around the tuning pegs.  The more string around the pegs, the more likely for slippage and loss of tuning, thought it's probably negligable with a locking nut.

Again, the more excess string you have around the peg, the more likely the chance of losing tuning stability due to string stretching and movement around the peg.

Yeah!! :D thats What I asked for...because I leave the excess with the ball-end on the headstock.OK, now I learn a little more.

But, It could be possible anyway using locking nut ? That`s why I always left the excess string,I thought that the locking nut avoided a tuning problem.

Yeah!! :D  thats What I asked for...because I leave the excess with the ball-end on the headstock.OK, now I learn a little more.

But, It could be possible anyway using locking nut ? That`s why I always left the excess string,I thought that the locking nut avoided a tuning problem.

Yes that's correct. Realistically you SHOULD be able to take the string off the tuner entirely once locked down if the nut's stable.