Inlay Pattern Glue

pegasus

I noticed in the Lavin tips on inlay he mentioned a glue by 3M that he used to hold the paper patterns down during cutting. Since everything else I've used, superglue, yellow glue, etc., only works part of the time and only on some materials, I'd like to find a source for the 3M glue in the red tube to try it. I've looked around and and have not found it. Here in Hawaii it may not be easily available. Can anyone tell me what kind of a store they find it in and is it a Duco type of glue that I'm looking for? Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob.

It's Scotch super strenght glue by 3M.

It's in a red and white package, and it's a tube type glue. It's is perfect for inlay pattern gluing. Sorry I can't tell you much about it's availability in Hawaii. I think it's not available in some states due to it's chemistry. Ca is one such place I believe. Hawaii might be the same.

C.Lavin

I always used rubber cement. But then, I like to remove my pattern off the material right after it's cut. Make it a lot easier to sand a fit the piece with the pattern removed. I don't know, maybe it's just me. Just my 2 cents for whatever that's worth, which probably isn't much.

Hi Bob.

It's in a red and white package, and it's a tube type glue. It's is perfect for inlay pattern gluing. Sorry I can't tell you much about it's availability in Hawaii. I think it's not available in some states due to it's chemistry. Ca is one such place I believe. Hawaii might be the same.

C.Lavin

Thanks Craig. Hawaii is like the Wild West, as far as chemicals go. It should be available here somewhere.-Bob

Hi Bob.

C.Lavin

Thanks Craig. Hawaii is like the Wild West, as far as chemicals go. It should be available here somewhere.-Bob

Superglue works fine on shell, or metal if you scuff it up with sandpaper first.  Check auto parts stores for the 3M adhesives.  Many of them are sold as trim adhesives and things like that.

Ryan, Thanks for that info. Superglue works for me most of the time too, but sometimes it does come loose or saturate the paper in such a way that the lines become difficult to see. That's why I'd like to try this 3M stuff if I can find it.-Bob

Why 3M super strength glue-

1) It Works on everything- black + gold pearl, all metals, all other pearls, woods, recon stones, plastics, corians, ... Nothing I have inlaid has been resistant to it yet.

2) It acts like rubber cement to a degree, and is very easy to scrape off with a razor blade. Not at all like CA. It's flexible after drying for a few hours, fully hardens in 24.

3) It's way less volatile. It has a smell, but I never tear up or have problems as much after using it. CA is a killer.. Flue like symptoms, etc.. I only use it in the shop with a chemical grade carbon cartidge mask and a fan going blowing across that.

4) It doesn't ruin the printed line if it's used in the correct amount (sparingly. and in nice flat layers- no clumps.

The only flaw it has is it's a bit goopy, relatively thick, and seemingly hard to find at times. But those things can be dealt with.

Just another note- I switched to it after being frustrated with my patterns constantly coming up during cutting on even regular white MOP pearl with CA. Yes it was scuffed, etc..

This is the best I have found. Epoxy takes too long and smells worse.

Good luck

C.Lavin

www.handcraftinlay.com

Thanks Ryanb.

I have a few new things recently, but they are not posted yet.

Mostly just small things like truss covers, etc..

C. Lavin

I actually get it in my local Publix grocery store here in Florida.

I would assume it's flammable but I am not certain.

Craig L.