Proving A Point

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got finished doing a little levelling on the headstock, I still have to take off about a 16th of an inch or so,but tuesdays mistake is almost completly rectified

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/the_f...evelling001.jpg

you will also notice I placed the fretboard on there for reference (this is a 24 fret blank, the 27 will be in next week i hope) and as was the problem on "the other neck" :D there is no wood behind the 23 fret, so what am I going to do? why do a 2nd scarf joint of coarse! :D the idea behind this is of coarse to extend the neck enough to where I have a suitable amount of wood under the fretboard to prevent it from warping (or worse) when fretted, that and I think it will look awesome (this time however im going to make a jig and make sure I dont have to spend 3 days fixing 10 minute of work!)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/the_f...evelling002.jpg

as you can see, there is still a visible glue line, and the tearout is still there as well, when im done, you wont see this (i hope)

well guys I got a little more sanding done on this neck and I started to think after a comment from a friend on another forum, as you can see in the above pictures the scarf joint joins the neck under where the nut will go, not necessarily a bad thing (bc rich use this method on there bronze guitars) but I know I can do better, so Im going to start this neck over! I dont really think aesthetically that It would look good with 2 scarf joints either so i will rectify that with the new neck when I start it next week, until then I have something to practice on at least.

new neck blank is on the way, since its going to take a few days to get here im going to draw out this neck to full scale when I recieve the fretboard and plan the EXACT location of where the scarf joint will be located (just under the 2nd fret on this neck is my plan) Im also still trying to decide if this is going to be a 6 or 7 string guitar (oh boy..)

hey goth just wanted to say way to go man after reading the threads that go with this neck story to be honest it couldnt have worked out better for sure u dropped some cash ( and i know that hurts ) but think of the plus side it forced u to to learn

somthing from this whole sordid affair and when youve finished it its all youre doing so what if u make a mistake here and there its a learning curve so i say go for it keep up the good work ( u never know maybe u could sell one of youre necks to that special person who ripped you) :D:D

quite true, the fretboard came in today and i must say, rich you are the man (and I know I say that everytime I recieve woods from you) this thing is awesome! Im going to have to wait now on the neck blank (which im hoping will be here friday, but Im going to be starting the full sized drawings in the next few hours

thats definalty the idea, I have flubed up far too many neck's in the past to settle for "just ok" this neck is going to be as good as I possibly can make it that simple, if not well I do happen to have a WOD.... :D anyway, thank you for the kind words and I will post a picture of the plans for the "new" neck in the next few hours, I still have some measurements to get correct and all that good stuff.

ok, as promised here is a coulple pictures of the full-sized drawing, sorry for the crummy quality pictures, but my camera's not the best, other then that, here we go.

fretboard003.jpg

as you can see here I marked out the end of the fretboard, and have the string to string spacing as well as the center of the neck (and of coarse the actual fretboard!)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/the_f...retboard002.jpg

just another view of what I was doing, I did an overhead view and a side view of the neck (so I could get an idea of the neck angle, as well as where Im going to be cutting the blank at to do the scarf joint)

and just for giggles, a reference shot of the fretboard compared to my rg....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/the_f...retboard001.jpg

Edited by goth_fiend

slight update, cut the neck angle for the scarf joint today, it is gluing right now, since I already have pictures of the last neck on here, im not going to bore you with pictures of the same thing, my radius sanding blocks and fretwire came in today as well so were slowly making progress again.

well what I did this time was slightly different, I made a mitre box with a 13 degree angle on it (good luck trying to find one anywhere, they dont make em) and cut my blank using that, after that I went over the cut with 150 grit, then glued it up, I might take pictures of the box tommorow

• 1 month later...

alright guys its been way too long since I updated this, the neck is sitting here with the proper scarf joint, truss rod is installed, as is the carbon fibre rods, the fretboard is tapered, but sadly my camera is busted :D so no pictures as of right now, Im working on getting a new one, and im hoping to have it and this neck done by january, so we will see how it pans out, sorry for not updating sooner!