3-bolt To 4-bolt Conversion

Ghwar

I have here a 3-bolt Stratocaster neck (70's re-issue) which , when I bought it, had already had the bottom 2 bolts for a 4 bolt neck drilled. however, the top 2 bolts, as i just discovered from trying to install this neck on a 4-bolt body, do not line up for a 4 bolt installation.

However, they are very close.. so close, I would have to fill the current holes in order to drill new ones. has anyone done anything even remotely close to something like this? I have heard of it being done before, so I know it's possible. I figured hard wood filler in the existing holes would do it.. do you guys think that would hold up? what type of wood filler would you use.. if not wood filler, what would you do??

I have here a 3-bolt Stratocaster neck (70's re-issue) which , when I bought it, had already had the bottom 2 bolts for a 4 bolt neck drilled. however, the top 2 bolts, as i just discovered from trying to install this neck on a 4-bolt body, do not line up for a 4 bolt installation.

However, they are very close.. so close, I would have to fill the current holes in order to drill new ones.  has anyone done anything even remotely close to something like this?  I have heard of it being done before, so I know it's possible. I figured hard wood filler in the existing holes would do it.. do you guys think that would hold up? what type of wood filler would you use.. if not wood filler, what would you do??

don't do it with wood fillers..they tend to dry brittle and would probably crumble when you tried to screw the neck on. get yourself a length of dowell rod..3/8" or so and a bit of the same size. drill out the existing hole..make sure you don't drill all the way through..apply some wood glue to the dowell and insert it into the hole. after it dries you can re-drill the holes and mount the neck.

However, they are very close.. so close, I would have to fill the current holes in order to drill new ones.  has anyone done anything even remotely close to something like this?  I have heard of it being done before, so I know it's possible. I figured hard wood filler in the existing holes would do it.. do you guys think that would hold up? what type of wood filler would you use.. if not wood filler, what would you do??

don't do it with wood fillers..they tend to dry brittle and would probably crumble when you tried to screw the neck on. get yourself a length of dowell rod..3/8" or so and a bit of the same size. drill out the existing hole..make sure you don't drill all the way through..apply some wood glue to the dowell and insert it into the hole. after it dries you can re-drill the holes and mount the neck.

why thank you.. but when you say drill out the existing holes what do you mean by that? make them bigger so the dowell will fit?

exactly..drill say a 3/8" hole where the existing hole is and fill it with a 3/8" dowell. make sure it's flush with the surface then mark where the new hole should be and drill a small pilot hole for the screw to go into and bolt that rascal down.

by the way..determine how deep the dowell hole should be and put a piece of masking tape on your drill bit marking that depth and you won't have to worry about drilling all the way through by accident..

exactly..drill say a 3/8" hole where the existing hole is and fill it with a 3/8" dowell.  make sure it's flush with the surface then mark where the new hole should be and drill a small pilot hole for the screw to go into and bolt that rascal down.

by the way..determine how deep the dowell hole should be and put a piece of masking tape on your drill bit marking that depth and you won't have to worry about drilling all the way through by accident..

Thansks J, i'm going to get to work soon, just a couple more questions before i go drilling my precious baby..

i'm curious as to how this will hold up. my dad thinks it will jnust fall apart. have you done this before? are dowell's usually made of nice hard maple? and.. am I supposed to be putting the dowell in a position as to which I will be drilling the new hole directly in the middle of the dowell? also, what wood glue would you recommend

i'm curious as to how this will hold up. my dad thinks it will jnust fall apart. have you done this before? are dowell's usually made of nice hard maple? and.. am I supposed to be putting the dowell in a position as to which I will be drilling the new hole directly in the middle of the dowell? also, what wood glue would you recommend

doing it this way has been a standard for guitar tecs and builders forever and yes, i've done it many times. dowells come in maple, walnut, pine, etc. but whatever your local hardware store has will do fine.

don't worry about the exact placement of the dowell..you don't need to put it where it can be drilled dead center. just make a nice, clean hole of the proper depth, apply glue liberally to the dowell and insert it into the hole. let it set up overnight and you're ready to drill. any good wood glue will work. i'm using titebond II and III at the moment.

if you have access to a drill press that's great but it can be done with a hand drill as long as you're careful and you've got your depth set properly.

once the dowells have set up and you've got them perfectly flush with the surface you're ready for the next step. place the neck into the neck pocket and clamp it in place. now take a finish nail or awl and insert it into the holes in the body and tap it lightly to mark the hole placement in the neck. remove the neck and drill your pilot holes for the mounting screws using the marks as your guide. again, be careful not to drill too deep. after drilling the pilot holes you are ready to mount the neck and get that rascal playin'

doing it this way has been a standard for guitar tecs and builders forever and yes, i've done it many times. dowells come in maple, walnut, pine, etc. but whatever your local hardware store has will do fine.

don't worry about the exact placement of the dowell..you don't need to put it where it can be drilled dead center. just make a nice, clean hole of the proper depth, apply glue liberally to the dowell and insert it into the hole. let it set up overnight and you're ready to drill. any good wood glue will work. i'm using titebond II and III at the moment.

if you have access to a drill press that's great but it can be done with a hand drill as long as you're careful and you've got your depth set properly.

once the dowells have set up and you've got them perfectly flush with the surface you're ready for the next step. place the neck into the neck pocket and clamp it in place. now take a finish nail or awl and insert it into the holes in the body and tap it lightly to mark the hole placement in the neck. remove the neck and drill your pilot holes for the mounting screws using the marks as your guide. again, be careful not to drill too deep. after drilling the pilot holes you are ready to mount the neck and get that rascal playin'

Thanks, you've been a great help!

So it doesn't matter if the new hole i drill happens to be right on the split between the dowell and actual neck wood?

Edited by Ghwar

So it doesn't matter if the new hole i drill happens to be right on the split between the dowell and actual neck wood?

nope..wherever you drill the new hole will be in solid wood and will hold. if it happens to be where the dowell meets neck wood it will still hold. trust the force luke. :D

and you're very welcome. good luck with your project.

nope..wherever you drill the new hole will be in solid wood and will hold. if it happens to be where the dowell meets neck wood it will still hold. trust the force luke. :D

and you're very welcome. good luck with your project.

Thank you so very much, I would be pretty lost if not for this help. i dont have a drill press, but i'll try to find one, if not my dad is really good at this stuff, ill make him drill it and blame him if he messes up :D

I will reward with plentiful pics