Ok, Another Tone Question

I did use the search feature and found out that cherry is a great wood to work with and is very stable. But it is bright.

How bright?

If i use a maple neck, 1/4" maple cap and single coils would it be over bearing?

If i used a maple neck, 1/4" maple cap and humbuckers would it be overbearing?

How do you think it would sound in route out chambers in the body, then put on a maple cap?

The reason im asking this is because i found a peice of two inch stock cherry 24 inches wide. It heartwood only consumes the last 3 inches and the sapwood 2 inches. I think it would look sweet as a back with a maple top. natural finish.

:D Hi,

I've built many, many guitars, solid, semi-hollow, and chambered from cherry. I haven't found that it is bright. I feel it is very good throughout the tonal range. It is an outstanding tone wood and can be used for all styles. Yes, neck wood(s) can and do make a difference, just as they do with all neck/body combos. OK, now everybody can take shots! Ha! By the way, I've used this wood for every style from jazz to metal.

Peace,

Dave

I did use the search feature and found out that cherry is a great wood to work with and is very stable. But it is bright.

How bright?

If i use a maple neck, 1/4" maple cap and single coils would it be over bearing?

If i used a maple neck, 1/4" maple cap and humbuckers would it be overbearing?

How do you think it would sound in route out chambers in the body, then put on a maple cap?

The reason im asking this is because i found a peice of two inch stock cherry 24 inches wide. It heartwood only consumes the last 3 inches and the sapwood 2 inches. I think it would look sweet as a back with a maple top. natural finish.

A few people on here have made all maple guitars, Cherry is not as bright as maple, but has a similar characteristis to it.

My first guitar i made had a cherry body, maple neck and oak fingerboard (dont ask me why i used oak, but i did)

In my opinion, even though i butched up the scale length, it wasnt overly bright, it just sounded like crap.

Curtis

A few people on here have made all maple guitars, Cherry is not as bright as maple, but has a similar characteristis to it.

My first guitar i made had a cherry body, maple neck and oak fingerboard (dont ask me why i used oak, but i did)

In my opinion, even though i butched up the scale length, it wasnt overly bright, it just sounded like crap.

Curtis

that isnt exactly what i wanted to hear.

Did it sound like crap because of the wood or because you butched up the scale length?

Edited by loudandproud

It does depend on the specific pieces of wood you use, not just the species... one piece of cherry can be more like maple, and another can more like walnut... Sometimes the results are not always what you expect, check the density and strength of the specific piece you have in mind for a better understanding of what results it may yield.

i've made a couple of guitars out of cherry and find it a pleasing mid-range sort of wood..not too bright but certainly not muddy...

try this..hold the piece in question balanced on one hand and rap it sharply with the knuckles of the other. if it sounds dull..dead then it will probably sound that way in a guitar. if it sounds bright and rings kinda like a bell then it will make a good guitar. you can always find the sound you're looking for with different pickup combos.

good luck