Stop Bar

I'm in the process of making one out of ebony.  Haven't run into TOO many problems as of yet.  As for brass, I dunno.  I figured ebony was hard enough to hold the strings and not have them really dig in too much.  But brass... never worked with that...

Chris

Thanks for the reply,have you got any pics of what you are up to.Is the tail piece going to be like a regular stop bar?I also thought of copyong a regular one out of a thick piece of ebb but wondered about longevity,coulc,nt hurt to try I guese.

Nope, mine's a stop bar ebony for a TOM. It's gunna work where there's a hole connected to a cut out line. And you drop the ball of the string into the hole, then when the ball is under it (there's hole under the stop bar) you move it forward down the line which is too thin for the bar to be pulled out through. Then ya string it like normal. I thought it quite a nice idea. (hope ya'll understand)

Chris

Nope, mine's a stop bar ebony for a TOM. It's gunna work where there's a hole connected to a cut out line. And you drop the ball of the string into the hole, then when the ball is under it (there's hole under the stop bar) you move it forward down the line which is too thin for the bar to be pulled out through. Then ya string it like normal. I thought it quite a nice idea. (hope ya'll understand)

Chris

Good Idea Chris,would like to see a pic of that.I think I,ll try that before making one out of brass.I might make one like on a bennadeto with a hinge at the base of the body,this will be for a set neck strat with angled head stalk,but your Input has given me some good Ideas to think about .Cheers to all. :D also forgot to mention the strat is chambered,mahogany body with birds eye top pau ferro board and pau ferro headstalk venner.

Edited by deadgoodcharlie

I'll be honest with you... this stop bar is slow in the making, cause I'm meanwhile building a semi-hollow, finishing a neck-thru, and dealing with hurricanes a la miami.

But yeah, watch out for when I post my finished neck-thru (will be called MeuX L-Series) and chances are I'll GOTM it... so yeah, when you see that pop up... ask me about how the stop-bar came out then, cause then you'll be sure it's done and I can show you it, and also I'll forget myself by then, hense why I'm laying the ownus on you :D

Chris

I'll be honest with you... this stop bar is slow in the making, cause I'm meanwhile building a semi-hollow, finishing a neck-thru, and dealing with hurricanes a la miami.

But yeah, watch out for when I post my finished neck-thru (will be called MeuX L-Series) and chances are I'll GOTM it... so yeah, when you see that pop up... ask me about how the stop-bar came out then, cause then you'll be sure it's done and I can show you it, and also I'll forget myself by then, hense why I'm laying the ownus on you :D

Chris

Ok Chris,can,t wait to see.