A Possibly Silly Shielding Question

GregP

Hey all,

As some of you know, I'm trying to restore some sort of quiet to my recording environment, since moving into an electromagnetically-busy little space.

If I put my mixer into a shielded box, and then somehow (not sure how this is done) ground the shield to something, would it help isolate the mixer's preamps from any interference they might be picking up?

Greg

Hey greg

Just through curiosity... have you tried putting a good power conditioner infront of your recording gear?

I remember a while back with your initial thread saying that the mains in your house were quite bad, Perhaps with a power conditioner cleaning up the lines a bit before it even gets to your mixer, it may help clean up the preamp stage...

Just an idea

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Yeah, I've considered it. They're not instantly available around here, or at least not that I'm aware of. I tend to avoid mail-order from the States as much as possible.

HOWEVER....

I just discovered (or re-discovered as the case may be... I once tested all the outlets but I thought this one was OK) that the outlet my gear is plugged into has NO GROUND!!

So I'm going to run an extension cable from one of the properly-wired outlets. Hopefully that will help. Also, I'm in the middle of shielding and rewiring my guitar, though I'm hopelessly inept with all this wiring stuff so I'm going to have to bug Lovekraft (or whoever else) some more when I have the time to draw a diagram and take some shots...

Greg

If you ever need a hand hunting down a half decent Power conditioner or rack gear let me know, Im doing a Music tech course currently and as a student in the course, we hear of so many different outlets for equipment with amazing prices :D

Good luck with this one man, Hope it all gets sorted

~~ Slain Angel ~~