Sustain Problems

I am almost finished with my first from scratch project and I have the guitar set up with electronics in place. Everything seems to be working fine but I am not getting very much sustain from the high E and B strings plucked open or fretted. In contrast the low E,A,D,and G strings sustain for up to 20 seconds as opposed to the 5-7 second time frame for the B and high E. Does anyone have any idea of what the problem may be as I am stumped.

Check the nut slots for those two strings. The leading edge of the slot must be the "first contact" area for the string. If the string first touches the nut inside the slot then it will not ring true. The string will vibrate on the sides/bottom of the slot causing it to lose its momentum. Fixing it by cutting the proper angle might lower the string height a tad.

Edited by Southpa

they could be banging against the frets, mine were, you'd need to level your frets if this is the case, if your pickups have adjustable screws you could put them closer on B and e. thats all i can think of right nowsouthpa,

thanks that is the only other thing that I could come up with.

The frets are level and dressed and there is no fret buzz any where on the neck.

What kind of music are you playing that you need to hold a note for more than 7 seconds?

Its not about playing any type of music that I would need to let a note ring true for any amount of time. Its about knowing that I have created an instrument that is true in every way because no matter how nice it looks if it dosent sound good and play well your efferts are in vain.

Check the nut slots for those two strings. The leading edge of the slot must be the "first contact" area for the string. If the string first touches the nut inside the slot then it will not ring true. The string will vibrate on the sides/bottom of the slot causing it to lose its momentum. Fixing it by cutting the proper angle might lower the string height a tad.

I think that this may be the case. I will be sure to check it and let you know how it works out.

I am almost finished with my first from scratch project and I have the guitar set up with electronics in place.  Everything seems to be working fine but I am not getting very much sustain from the high E and B strings plucked open or fretted.  In contrast the low E,A,D,and G strings sustain for up to 20 seconds as opposed to the 5-7 second time frame for the B and high E.  Does anyone have any idea of what the problem may be as I am stumped.

You mentioned the lack of sustain fretted or open. It may be a good idea to check your bridge and make sure everything is seated properly and tight. what type of bridge are you using? It is normal to not get as much sustain at higher frequency, but that sounds like a pretty big difference. It is a good idea to check the guitar over for tight bolts and hardware. It may also be worth trying different strings (even though the strings you are using are probably new).

Peace,Rich

You mentioned the lak of sustain fretted or open. It may be a good idea to check your bridge and make sure everything is seated properly and tight. what type of bridge are ou using? It is normal to not get as much sustain at higher frequency, but that sounds like a pretty big difference. It is a good idea to check the guitar over for tight bolts and hardware. It may also be worth trying different strings (even thugh the strings you are using are probably new).

The bridge is a gotoh 510 and it is seated with inserts which were pressed in. The studs that come with the bridge also have set screws that run through the length of the them. I have checked to make sure that everything is tight and secure. The only other difference that I can think of is that I normaly use Dean Markley Blue Steel custom lights as opposed to the lights that are on there now, but there is no difference between the two gauages on the high E and B strings.