Recording To Pc With Spider Ii?

Hughes

hi, i have read the support part of line 6's website and i cannot get it to work so heres my question.

I have Sony Acid Pro (newest one) and i put a cord in the line out of my amp and into my pc sound card. Now i have no idea how to incorperate the two to get them to work.

Also, should i be able to hear it through my speakers when im not recording?

Thanks, Jordan

I don't know about ACID, but in general, here's what to look out for:

1. You need to plug into the "line" input, not the "mic" input. The mic input of a soundcard has a pre-amp that usually sucks. The Spider II has a line-level output anyhow, so you'll want to use the right input. It depends from card-to-card how to enable the line input instead of the mic input, but you need to sort that out.

2. In your program (in your case, ACID), you will need to enable your soundcard as an 'audio device' on a new empty track.

3. Most soundcards aren't made for this sort of work, so they will have a noticeable "latency", which is the delay from the time you play the guitar to the time you hear it coming out of your speakers. To fool your program into thinking you have a better card than you do, Google for the "ASIO4ALL" drivers and install them. Then restart ACID and select the "ASIO" device as your audio input.

4. Yes, you should be able to hear your guitar coming through your speakers, assuming your card is at least newer than a Soundblaster AWE32. (which is ancient). However, you may need to enable an option in ACID called "monitor" in order to do so. Again, I don't know ACID so well.

Hope that helps a bit.

Greg

2. all i could find was "Audio Device" in preferences and i selected ASIO4All and nothing happend and i cant find a new empty track (sorry, im a retard when it comes to this stuff)

3. i downloaded it and installed it and put it as my audio device but cant find audio input

can you recomend a program that you are familiar with so maybe i can learn a bit from that? thanks for all your help man

Ive always found Audacity (free anyway) is a good recording program to get some stuff down... It also has a very good support for VST plugins allowing you to expand the program as you wish

I also have a Line 6 Spider 2 (212) and have found it great for recording, the only thing i recommend is make sure you have your channel volume up on 8 or 9 and then just have the master down on as low as it needs to be for your recording, since i noticed without that, there seems to be a real lack of tone for some reason when it is played back :D

~~ SA ~~

2. all i could find was "Audio Device" in preferences and i selected ASIO4All and nothing happend and i cant find a new empty track (sorry, im a retard when it comes to this stuff)

You've enabled it as your device globally for the program, but now you have to set it to a track. Kind of like having an 8-track Tascam recorder... you can't hear anything until you have the guitar plugged into a track.... or something... :D

I don't know how to tell you how to set up a new track. Usually there's at least one set up by default. Check your manual.

3. i downloaded it and installed it and put it as my audio device but cant find audio input

Well, you're half-way there. :D

can you recomend a program that you are familiar with so maybe i can learn a bit from that? thanks for all your help man

I recommend Tracktion 2 most heartily. However, while a 'budget' program by comparison, it's not cheap at $149 USD or so.

Greg