Amp Recommendations

jay66

Epiphone Valve Jr.

I had this one for a couple of days and I still miss it! Especially plugged into the 2x10s of my old Music Man 65 (I just sold that though).

I wouldn't call the Valve Jr. versatile...but the one sound it does get is great, especially if you love a really raunchy overdriven tube sound.

And yeah, the price is right.

But my unit made way too much noise --the buzz from the thing was incredible. I wanted a smaller amp for practice, and especially for band practice, there's no way I could show up with that thing...

Supposedly replacing the tubes will help calm the noise on it though, but since there's no good amp tech within two hours' drive here, I didn't try it --besides, the appeal of this amp is its low price...

Still, like I said, I can't forget the very cool sound of the thing --I'm just waiting until one turns up in a store here --if they've solved the noise problem (Epiphone/Gibson told me they were working on it), I'll get another, and just forget about building my own.