Amp Recommendations

jay66

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a new tube amp,somthing with fairly low wattage that I can get some good crunch out it of with out pealing the paint off the neibors house and also some good clean tones I have a few in mind and was wondering if anyone has played any of these, and what they thought of them.

Budda super drive 18

Vox AC 30 custom classic or AC 15

Orange rocker 30

Traynor ycv20wr

jay66

Edited by jay66

Can't help you on those, sorry. But I just bought a Laney VC15 110 and I like it a lot...you'll get that British crunch you want, no problem...half the price of the AC15--and the Laney is actually made in England.

I've only had mine a couple of weeks, so far it's worked out just fine in band practice. We're playing at a party this weekend, so we'll see how it handles that. Eventually I'll get a 30-watt version for band practice though. Build quality seems to be really good. Nice and quiet too.

Though 15 watts is still pretty loud at home (the Laney's speaker is only 10 inches, so that helps, but mostly I'm driving the preamp to keep the volume down).

I'd look into a 5-watt amp (I'm planning on building one).

The laney vc 15 sounds interesting. I was looking at one at music123.com not a bad price either. I read somwhere that the vox amps are made in China now,kinda makes me wonder about the quality.There is also an Orange dealer not to far from me,have to check out what they have. A friend of mine had a Orange amp a few years back that sounded amazing. I don't know about a bad cat or carvin those are alot more cash and I still have to convince my wife that a new lower volume amp is in her best interest too.

jay66

I have tried both the orange and the vox. The orange has a very british clean sound not super clean fender like tones but still ok, the vox is beautiful though. Best mix of clean and distortion and very loud if you need it to be. China is a better country to get things made in than britian i have to say, we suck at manufactering. I have had no problems at all with the Vox (i work in a guitar shop btw).

Try A Cornford Harlequin...

Simply the best AMP in the UK EVER!!!!

Here: (Listen to the sample tracks, they blow ur mind)

http://www.cornfordamps.com/

If only I could ship one to hong kong hehe...

Ash HK :D

Wow your right. I love the sound of that harlequin!

Any idea how much it costs?

I found one review on harmoney centrel that says he paid 600 euro for it. Thats around $750 american.

Does that sound about right for on of those? If so than Im deffinitly going to look into getting one!

Edited by Godin SD

Wow your right.  I love the sound of that harlequin!

If you gotta ask...Mfg. List Price: $1,495.00

But yeah, those Cornfords are definitely interesting....although I don't trust these sound clips at all...they're not exactly impartial...

What would be really cool would be a site that compares a variety of amps using the exact same guitar and riff and recording methods

Anyway, I got to use my new Laney in a party situation, worked out really well --it was a small party though, not too many people, and the band didn't turn up too loud. I really like the Laney's gain channel.

I found the price.

It's $2600 USD  :D

Nope, that's Australian dollars...still, pretty pricey for a 6 watt amp! You're better off building one of your own...

Speaking of cool amps, I like those Randalls with the exchangeable pre-amp section....that must be pretty cool.

And if I were in the States, I'd hunt around for a Reverend Goblin --too bad they don't make them anymore!

A few months ago Vintage Guitar did a low-watt amp shootout. It was an interesting read until I saw some of the prices, then I dropped the magazine and ran away.  :D

:D:DB)

So true.

I think I'll try to build one as soon as I come up with the cash for all the parts. I'd much rather build than than spend $2000+ on a amp from a company.

However, what I know of now i that the hareqluin is retailed i UK for a list price of 600uk pounds. The reason why it is so expensive is because of the high demand and they only make one amp a day. Not one hareluin, but one amp from their series. So therefore if you think about it, the list price isnt that bad after all.

I found some videos of Guthrie. He is an amazing player and ya, so here:

http://www.tonemerchants.com/Guthrie_Govan_Clips.htm

Hope the info helps!

Ash HK :D

Epiphone Valve Jr.

Super modable and $110. With my ts-9 upfront its way cool and its cool on its own.

Before you dismiss this these are the other amps i own:

Soldano Hot Rod 50

Mesa Nomad 55 1x12

Carvin x-60b

Mesa Studio 22+

Danelectro Viscount 30(very old dano)

Mesa wide body 1x12 cab

65 fender 2x12 cab

I do have to say the Valve Junior hooked up to either of my cabs is cooler than its 8" speaker but its cool on its own. I now plan to research and execute some of the mods you can find on a google search.