What Do You Guys Think?

Cost you 10 bucks less, is HVLP,

OK, this is where I always get confused. For a system to actually be true HVLP, you need the turbine in addition to the gun - true or false? I see so many HVLP guns for sale but I don't understand what the advantage is to using them if you don't have the turbine to go with it. Please help a very confused person here! :D

Cost you 10 bucks less, is HVLP,

OK, this is where I always get confused. For a system to actually be true HVLP, you need the turbine in addition to the gun - true or false? I see so many HVLP guns for sale but I don't understand what the advantage is to using them if you don't have the turbine to go with it. Please help a very confused person here! :D

You've got two kinds: Either a complete independent system with a turbine, or a 'conversion' gun that runs on a standard compressor, but eats air like crazy. Both are true High Volume Low Pressure systems, both have their disadvantages and advantages (dedicated HVLP systems are smaller and quieter than a hulking compressor and a 'conversion' gun).

I've got a SATA MiniJet 3 HVLP gun, works a charm. Far, far less overspray than my traditional gun, lays down coats perfectly.

So wait, does someone, wanna give a brief explanation of what HVLP exactly is? does the lower pressure result in a better finish? Ive never looked in to buying paint guns before, so im completely ignorant when it comes to them. if you have a regular old air compressor, is getting a paint gun as simple as connecting a hose to the copmress, then to the gun? what all this talk about turbines i hear?

So wait, does someone, wanna give a brief explanation of what HVLP exactly is? does the lower pressure result in a better finish?  Ive never looked in to buying paint guns before, so im completely ignorant when it comes to them.  if you have a regular old air compressor, is getting a paint gun as simple as connecting a hose to the copmress, then to the gun? what all this talk about turbines i hear?

Low pressure means you get less overspray, less finish 'bouncing' off the piece, etc., but you need a high volume of air to move the paint through the gun and atomise it properly. This high air flow can be provided by a turbine, since you don't need massively high pressure (Fuji is one of the leading companies for HVLP setups), or simply hook up a compressor to a 'conversion' spray gun, make sure the compressor can provide the flow (CFM) needed, and turn down the pressure to the amount reccomended by the gun manufacturer. Simple as that. Conversion guns don't need anything special that 'normal' high pressure guns don't also need.