Building A Case

Hitone

I was inspired by thegarehanman to build my own case. I designed & built a few guitars that don't fit into a standard case. I actually scaled down my body size on my last build just so it would fit into a standard case. This has always bugged me since what we do doesn't have to be standard at all. In fact I enjoy it when it's not standard. I ramble!

Here's my case and my new semi-hollow body.

23.jpg

I'll try my best to descripe the materials I used.

1/4" Poplar boards (the cheap ones from Home Depot) I bought (2) 2 1/5 and (2) 1 1/2 boards

Masonite for the top and bottom

The outer black material was something I had bought from Joann fabric store. I think it's just plastic material. It looks like fake leather.

The green was just some sales item that Joann had and I thought would work. since my guitar has a green head stock.

The edge material was another fake leather material. I would have used something heavier duty if I would have bought it myself.

I have several build pictures HERE and also on my BLOG

I want to post images of the guitar when I get it finished. I still need to set it up to call it done.

:D You know...it wouldn't hurt to add this to the thread I started about building cases...just to keep everything together. I think that the more well-built, home made cases that people see, the less they'll think it's difficult(obviously, you've already figured out that it's pretty easy). Once I get rolling on my current build, I'm going to do a tut on how to build a molded fiberglass case.

But I digress, You did a mighty fine job. What stopped you from making the inside form-fitting?

One more question: How does that green foam from Jo-anne fabrics hold up. I looked in their store for some plush material. I ended up with something from hobby lobby, but I considered using that type of foam for a while. I ultimately decided to use more rigid, styrofoam.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

Thanks for comments

On the Case:

The HD foam works really well. It stiffens up when you glue the material to it. I don't know why I didn't form fit it. I guess I thought doing with out it would be more straight forward.

On the guitar:

Yes it's one of two new classics I have built. I haven't completed them yet so I only have a few images. I'll link them below. I do have a pickguard made out of maple. I wanted to make it green to match the headstock, but the dye wasn't working with me. So I stil haven't decided if I'm going to use it. I'll take another look.

Here's a mockup with the pickguard

Here 's top view of the classic

Here's a detail of the art on the back

Here's a decent shot of the body

Here a side view of the headstock

Ah...yes...the pickguard...definitely! Brings the whole guitar together that's why

I'd go with a clear/clouded floating pickguard for the black one...(you could reproduce the floral design on the pickguard)...and I wouldn't be so strict with the lines of it --to angular for this model...I like Gretsch's pickguards a lot. But for this one, it'd be easy to follow the line of the guitar's waist a little...

Really love the Dano-style shape too...and the P90...and the wraparound bridge...

One of the few guitars I've seen in PG that I'd actually want to BUY...

So, does the Classic have an end to end center block?  Or are you doing something else like a Gretsch or a Danelectro?  Got any more build pics of the Classic or the Fatboy?

Thanks Tirapop. That picture of the gretsch is incredible. I still don't understand how that body is built, but those images sure help.

I put up some more build picks Here.

The guitar has a solid centerblock that I made out of basswood. Pretty much like the Martin Koch book. The center is shaped to the arch. The sides are bent in a mold and then glued to the block.

Sorry, but I guess I dont have any images of the body and block together. The images mainly show how I did the masked design and also the binding. I used veneer for the binding. A technique I came up with after I kept breaking regular wood bindings. It came out great. You can't even see the layers of the wood. Which I though would have been cool if you could. It might be neat to do different kinds of wood to get a line effect. I also did a faux binding on the headstock. Check out the picks.

Idch, I am working out a pickguard based on your suggestion. I'll shoot you a pict as soon as I get it worked up.

Wish there were a separate thread to discuss the Classic...

I'm really interested in the overlay --do you have any close-up pics of that? I'm curious to see how sharp those edges are...seems to me this would make an excellent technique for a headstock logo too.

Are you placing the overlay on the masking tape, cutting around the overlay then pulling up the tape -- leaving only the overlay-shaped masking tape in place?

Man this is an exciting guitar...a maple set-neck? Beautiful!