Festool Router

rbjem

I am now in the market for a new router. Before I used a crappy Black and Decker I picked up from Menards. After about 6 months of fairly heavy use the whole thing broke completely broke down. So now I am going all out and getting a new, high quality router.

I am probably goining to get somthing with around 3 horse power and plunge capabilities. I was looking at a Porter Cable and Bosch a couple days ago, but just found out today about Festool. These are what I am looking at now:

http://www.festoolusa.com/category.aspx?ID=4

I am mostly interested in the 2000 E model.

Their tools are a definetly more expensive than other brands, but they seem leaps and bounds better. Does anyone know if the extra cost is worth paying because I am willing to pay the extra money if it is significantly better than others?

festool, ive never heard anything bad about them ive only heard good.. if i had the money i would snap one up in a second.

If you are using it for a table router i wouldnt suggest it as it would be a waste.... but for hand held use go for it. Ive heard that tritons router is the best for table use.

hope your new router works great, i just got my new router 2 days ago, maktec mt360 although its not variable speed its still awesome for the money 200aus

:D

If I had the money, I'd go for Festool in a heartbeat. But with the amount of daily use (ie, not much) that I put my tools through, I'd rather have a couple of (say) Porter Cables, or Blue Bosch tools (not the green ones) and spread the wear.

They are very, very good tools, though.

I think that the "almighty dollar" will probably make the decision for you.

I try to do as Mattia says, and get the most bang for my buck. Obviously you want the best you can get, who doesn't? But... you have to weigh the cost versus the use, if you plan on really putting the router through it's paces - often- then go for it. On the other hand, if you are using it solely for hobby guitars then there is only so much you can logistically do with it to neccesitate the cost. Personally I run a Bosch model 1617EVSPK (both for professional and personal use). Haven't had any complaints yet.

Nate Robinson :D

Personally I run a Bosch model 1617EVSPK (both for professional and personal use).  Haven't had any complaints yet.

Nate Robinson :D

That's topping my Christmas list this year... I've heard it's a hell of a tool. I have a Bosch 1590 jigsaw and it's without a doubt the best jigsaw I've ever used. Interestingly enough, when I looked up the number on the Bosch site - Bosch says they invented the jigsaw in 1947.

I've got a couple of pieces of Festool equipment and as some of my older stuff dies I'll probably be getting some more.

The stuff just works better than most other equipment. It's really made to use. It is the only tool line that I can think of that has no weak links, and I can't even think of anything that I would change on my Festool sanders.

The Triton router is a super piece of equipment. You don't see many of them in the US. Pricey. I have seen them at the last couple of IWF shows in Atlanta and they seem pretty well thought out.