Wiring Lace Sensors As Humbucker

hessodreamy

I've got a couple of lace sensors and was thinking of wiring a couple of them up as a humbucker.

I'm down with the old series wiring thing, but if i just wire them in series, it'll be hum adding, won't it? How bad is this?

I've experimented in the past making humbuckers out of single coils, by flipping the coils over and wiring them in series out of phase, to make them hum cancelling. Is this possible with the lace sensor design? Doesn't look to me like it is cos I think the bobbins are open on top and closed at the bottom.

Anyone got any experience in this?

they dont seem to hum when wired up normally with a 5 way switch, if you want to use 2 singles as a humbucker i think you just just join the hot of pickup 1 to the ground of pickup 2

http://europa.spaceports.com/~fishbake/buck/wire1.gif

they should work fine inphase but afaik the sensors dont use normal bobbins so it will have to just be done with wiring

Edited by Samba Pa Ti

• 2 weeks later...

Ok great. Here's a follow up question:

Bridge pup on a strat is at an angle. I presume this is due to a difference in volumes across the strings.

If I'm putting another coil next to it, should I run it at a similar angle to the first pickup, but offset, so that it stays in line with the strings? I know regular strats keep bridge humbuckers straight, yet a jagstang (slightly eccentric guitar, I know) has the whole 'bucker at an angle.

Which would be best? Does it matter.

That's cool. I guess regular humbuckers are parallel to the bridge so that all the pole pieces are under the strings, or (for rail-types) covering the strings, and maybe the sum of the 2 coils, with 1 being further away from the bridge, minimises the effect of unbalanced volume so close to the bridge. Correct me if i'm wrong, here.

Think I'll just put it at an angle like the original pickup, and stagger it so that it covers the strings.

Cheers!

Ok great. Here's a follow up question:

Bridge pup on a strat is at an angle. I presume this is due to a difference in volumes across the strings.

You are somewhat correct, the bridge pickup on a Strat is angled to get more bass out of the bridge pickup. If you play with your pick closest to the bridge, it produces a very high pitched twangy sound. Because the Fender's already have quite a twangy sound, the bridge pickup is angled in order to get more bass. Hope this clears it up. You should position the second humbucker somewhat in line, in order to get more signal. If it is angled without being in proximity of the strings you will not be getting some of the signal from the strings.

Hope this helps.