Need Some Kahler Help

Hughes

just bought some old bc rich with a usa kahler tremolo. it worked find at the store but then i was fiddling with it and the springs came off. so i put them back on, took off the strings and started to put on my low E but now is always touching the fretboard. why is it doing this now and now before?

Did you only put the one E string on? If so, it could be that the bridge is pulling the string sharp cause of all the extra tension on that one string cause it's not being distributed over all 6 strings. That could cause it to pull far enough to touch the fretboard. To prove it, if you have a guitar with a recessed floyd, go pull it back, and the strings will eventually hit the fingerboard. Actually, you may not want to try the experiment as it may break one of your strings, but take my word for it, on Floyds that happens.

Galen

• 3 weeks later...

I have two guitars with those bridges on them. They work very well, but they've got a couple of things you have to watch out for.

One, make sure that the bridge is mounted onto the screws correctly. The screws that connect the bridge to the body should fit into a little slot in the bridge. If you don't do this, the bridge won't hold tune and you're going to jack up your finish.

Two, when using the fine tuners NEVER adjust them so that they're fully "sharp." I've broken three bridges that way. The "fine tuner lever" is pretty fragile. Always leave them a little space for additional adjustment.

Three, you CAN adjust the saddles just like you can with a strat bridge.

Finally, every so often drop a dab of grease onto the saddle rollers. I hadn't touched one of my guitars with that setup for over a year and when I did, one of the saddles had seized up, making changing strings an excersize in I want to kill myself.

Edited by GEdwardJones