Choosing A Scale

I'm planning my third stringed instrument, which is my second guitar, which is my first acoustic. I'm settled that I would like a Martin-000/OM size body, but I'm having trouble deciding what scale length to use. The two primary choices are 24.9" and 25.4". Those are the scales of the OM and the 000-18/28, but I've never had a chance to play either, much less both so I could tell the difference.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm leaning toward 24.9" thinking that shorter scale = less tension = better playability.

Thats the general idea where it takes more tension to bring the larger length up to pitch. Its more a matter of preference, less distance between frets on the short scale. Gibson and Fender scales are close to the ones you mentioned. Just spend a bit of time playing each and decide what you like.

I haven't built an acoustic yet but am keen to give it a whirl one of these days. I would really like to give the Martin 0-28 a try, a very unique design. Thats the same guitar used on Jethro Tull's "Skating Away On The Thin Ice of A New Day". You'd never think that such a deep, rich tone could come from a box that small. :D

Its more a matter of preference, less distance between frets on the short scale.

Exactly. I have trouble playing on Fender's scale, and find Gibson's scale to be hard for some bends. I have to try a PRS again, maybe that's the one that'll do lol.

-Jamie