Neck Contour Jig

mab

Hey guys!

I read here that some people use roundover bits for roughing out the back contour of the neck. I would be interested in

- what jig you use, perhaps a small explanation,

- perhaps photos of it,

- what bit you use.

Thanks for upcoming posts!

mab

Honestly, without some serious hold-downs, some seriously sturdy router or better, pin router/router table, and taking really tiny bites, I wouldn't even consider it. As it is, it scares the heck out of me.

I've seen people mention they use Ogee and/or roundover bits, something like 7/8" radius or so. These things are HUGE, and you'll have to have a decent sized router that'll take 1/2" shank bits. Oh, and they're also expensive, starting at around 70 bucks, IIRC.

I'd honestly rather build a copy carver, if I cared to motorize my neck making (I like hand-carving a neck, takes all of about a half hour, from square to the point where I'm essentially refining the shape, and is one of my favourite parts of building). Seems more versatile, less frightening, and is probably cheaper since you don't need the insanely huge router bits.

Edited by mattia

even on my pin router I don't want the large bits going, too much unknown for such a large bit, and a small area of wood.

Mattia is right carving a neck is really a nice feeling. You can get it just... perfect.

With a router bit one wrong move and you have just ruined the neck. With carving you have to be asleep to mess it up really bad.

Though I have used a 3/4 bit in my pin router and got decent results...

This is how I rough the back contour..7/8" roundover. Though I may eventually get a big table edge bit. There's a plywood template on the underside for the bit to follow. I make 3 passes on either side. Then after that, a fair bit of randomly orbital sanding in long strokes with 60-grit to get the contour just right.

NeckBack.jpg

One of the most interesting ones that I have seen is this one: http://www.mykaguitars.com/tools/neckcarvejig/default.htm

An overhead router base...hmmm...

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but seems to me this would be really useful --I'm using my router and a template to shape the body of a new project...right now I'm working on the template...except I had a bobble and took a small chunk out of the template...I've fixed that, but I won't be able to fix the body if it happens with that...

Seems to me, building a base like this would help me eliminate the problem--I can guide the body/template assembly toward a bearing bit, instead of moving the router.

Your thoughts?

One of the most interesting ones that I have seen is this one: http://www.mykaguitars.com/tools/neckcarvejig/default.htm

An overhead router base...hmmm...

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but seems to me this would be really useful --I'm using my router and a template to shape the body of a new project...right now I'm working on the template...except I had a bobble and took a small chunk out of the template...I've fixed that, but I won't be able to fix the body if it happens with that...

Seems to me, building a base like this would help me eliminate the problem--I can guide the body/template assembly toward a bearing bit, instead of moving the router.

Your thoughts?

..my thoughts would be that you're probably better off making some sort of router table. Height adjustment's fiddlier, you still move the piece towards the router. Overhead's nice and all that, but more difficult to make and keep stable. For this purpose, shaping a neck, that kind of setup makes a lot of sense, but for most pattern/template work, a router table would seem the more logical solution. Needn't be terribly complicated, or a commercially available model, either.

Yeah, for bodies I use a router table. I got the Craftsman one and a Craftsman router to go with it, then proceeded to attach it to a couple of 2x6 that are stuck to the wall with heavy door hinges, so that it flips up and out of the way. When I need it, I flip it down and it rests level on the table that sits in front of it. It's not big, but it was big enough to roundover the edge of the body on the Yei Bass.

does anyone know what size bit myka use on his jig?

7/8"....that's why mine is 7/8" also! (Thanks David!)

In reality, the back of the neck does not follow a single radius. On a typical neck, the radius gets flatter as you move from the edge to the middle of the neck. So even after routing, I still have a lot of shaping to do on the "corners" to get it to feel right.

I have a feeling a table edge bit might be closer.

http://www.mikestools.com/856-601-11-cmt-t...-1-2-shank.aspx