Problem With 500k Pot: Taper (pot Doesn't Do Much Until 2 Or 1)

Pott

Honestly, if cleaning doesn't fix it, troubleshooting and repairing pots that suddenly malfunction is kinda like herding cats - it can probably be done, but it's a lot of trouble for what's at best a less than reliable result. Unless there's a compelling reason to hang on to that pot ( and I can't think of one, but that's just me), replace the offender and get on with your life. As always, YMMV.

It's easy to guess. What I would want to know is the difference in the pickups from the first guitar to the next. The next would be the difference in the type of guitars.

Say for example, if the first guitar had humbuckers and the second had single coils, I would expect this type of behavior. I would agree that it sounds like typical linear taper pot operation.

On the other hand, it could also be caused by a faulty ground connection. Without an adequate ground, most any pot won't seem to have any control over the volume. If the swap was from a tele style to an SG or Les Paul style and the back of the volume controls weren't grounded to each other, the same symptom would result.