Dealing With "router Burn" Rounding Edges...

Boggs

Here's the before and after shots showing the burning of the routed rounded edges... First pic posted but next two pics posted as links for bandwidth reduction. I need to sharpen the router bit and take the material off in more passes. It took me 3 hours by hand to sand off the burn and retain the radius. Complicating the routing process is the fact that there are 2 glue layers each where the maple veneer is in between the Cuban mahogany sides and the koa top and back. That is where the thin white contrast strip is on the sides.

BackPacker2s.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/boggs.com/Gui...ackPacker3s.jpg

This shows sort of what the basic body will look like (still no finish sanding or finish on the wood at all)...

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/boggs.com/Gui...ackPacker1s.jpg

Mixed up the epoxy/wood filler so I am working on filling all of the defects in the wood. When that sets up completely, I will be able to work towards finish sanding. I have put this in a new post because the router issue is really a different subject than the chiseling the neck pocket. Once I do the finish sandingand stuff, I will post the pics in this thread. Boggs

Edited by Boggs

I'm a bit lost; are you asking for advice on avoiding router burn, or documenting the problem? If it's the first:

Reduce cutter speed, since the round over bit has a large radius, so it will be travelling very fast at the edges. Take multiple passes, and keep the router moving at a good pace - anywhere you linger will get burnt. Make sure the cutter is sharp and clean.

If it's the second, it really belongs in the same thread as other material relating to the same instrument. Granted, it seems unrelated to the title, but that's really your fault for creating such a specific title in the first place! I'm sure folks are interested in following your progress, but keeping it all in one place makes for a more coherent read, and reduces the number of threads on the forum.

I'm not sure really which it falls undder because I am documenting the problem but also welcome to suggestions. I have long felt that having a title accurate to the subject matter is of value to those who wish to decide whether or not to open the thread in the first place. This is about a specific problem that others may have experienced so I felt a thread on that subject was indeed appropriate. I have posted about this here in this forum and also at another site (Luthiers' forum) and I have received interestingly enough conflicting opinions on router speed. I think the separate thread is of merit on its own. Builders in progress may be very interested in discovering this before they tackle a router job. If it was buried in the other thread, most would not even bother anymore to go back and read that thread and would miss good information or at least a heads up for a potential issue for their builds.