Stain

tricky1st

hey guy's i am new to finishing guitars. never really finished anything at all. i sanded the body of an old guitar and was wanting to stain it went to lowes and got some stain. stained the guitar but the stain didn't really take. it more or less just set on top of the wood more like paint than stain. it is an oil based stain and i was wondering what the deal was. i wouldn't be so bad but it didnt really dry very even. i have already stripped the guitar again and was wondering if any one know of any good stains. i was trying to stain the guitar a dark ebony but don't really want to hide the grain of the wood.

Stain works better on open grained woods. You need a dye for actual penetration into the fibres between the grain. I've used Minwax red mahogany stain on mahogany and it just made a :D covering overall. But when sanded back the stain remaining in the low spots enhanced the overall grain pattern. That is, more contrast between light and dark.

Stain works better on open grained woods. You need a dye for actual penetration into the fibres between the grain. I've used Minwax red mahogany stain on mahogany and it just made a :D covering overall. But when sanded back the stain remaining in the low spots enhanced the overall grain pattern. That is, more contrast between light and dark.

thanks. i thought that might be the case. wish i would have found this site a week ago. hey i don't know if you have ever looked at the roxy gallery but i was wondering how they do that transparent blue finish. thats kinda what i wont to do but in a black.