Grizzly Update -- Body Sanded And Polished

hammdo

Looks prety good. May I sugest that next time you sand back the black more. You should barley be able to see the black. Other wise it looks kinda "dirty" and crowded which is what happend to your's. It looks much more professional and classy if you sand back more. Like this tiger eye I did

maplefinished.jpg

On a veneer I wouldn't apply black at all. It's too thin and you run the risk of sanding through when sanding back the black.

Edited by Godin SD

Looks pretty good.

As for the color looking "dirty", and needing to be sanded back more...

Well, I think it's all a question of the color combination.

Black and yellow just don't mix.

A brown, or dark amber probably would have been a better choice as a base color.

Especially if going for the "tiger eye" look.

But overall it's looking like clean job.

Nice looking axe!

:D

Thanks for the input! I was really concerned with the thin top so I sanded pretty much down where I could, and it looked as if it was getting too close. It was more a 'learning process' on something that was not very expensive (wood wise).

I've never done a 'dye' job so this is why I'm setting out there for the world to 'teach' me. I agree, yellow was a bit of a risk with black, but still, worth the go.

I really like what you've done!

It would be nice to work with someone (local) so I would know the best way to accomplish a great look (like what you posted). The top I see on the posted guitar looks like 'billet of the gods' -- very beautiful...

Appreciate all the comments! I like the honest answers and its even better when tips are added!

As far as some of the dirty look, while I agree black should have been sanded down more, I just couldn't since the top was so thin. Also, I notices some of that look is akin to the weak machining done on the top -- I really noticed it after the black was sanded back. It really does look much better than the camera shows --Part of that rough look is also the camera -- its fairly old and not the best.

On my next guitar (a VIP Warmoth), I will take much better care with the dye, -- no black this time -- more of a turquiose ( and the top is MUCH thicker!).