Urgent Help Needed :s

:D Hi, I may be buying a strat today and i was hoping someone could help me with a few questions.

its a Japanesse 62 Reissue manufactored in '89....It does have a sunburst finish and I am really trying to find out what timber it is made from. I know that some of the strats that were exported in the 80's were made from basswood...Im really hoping its alder.

If anyone can get back to me with perhaps a way you can tell by the grain of the wood etc that would be great...

Thanks alot..

Shimmy

:D Hi, I may be buying a strat today and i was hoping someone could help me with a few questions.

its a Japanesse 62 Reissue manufactored in '89....It does have a sunburst finish and I am really trying to find out what timber it is made from. I know that some of the strats that were exported in the 80's were made from basswood...Im really hoping its alder.

If anyone can get back to me with perhaps a way you can tell by the grain of the wood etc that would be great...

Thanks alot..

Shimmy

It's more likely Basswood than Alder. The majority of the japanese strats/teles were made with basswood. One more reason why they are so different from USA Strats. Though as ever when buying a guitar, don't worry about the wood (as long as it's actual wood, not MDF), if it sounds good, and plays good, buy it!

Thanks for reply supernova,

good advice....

and I did buy it and my gosh its beautiful....

Im pretty sure it is basswood...its definately softer than my other strat...but it sounds amazing and feels amazing....

I just thought that it may be alder because it is a 62 reissue, and it wouldnt really be a true reissue if they used basswood....

But in anycase it feels and sounds great...and it was cheap :D

Thanks again,,

Ed