Spring Reverb Unit

h20rider

So, I just bought a tube driven spring reverb unit from a Hammond organ. I understand that it's basically what was in the free standing Fender reverb units. There's an input and an output jack, two leads with male RCA connectors, and a power cord. I want to set it up as an external reverb for my Bassman head. The power is obvious, plugging into the courtesy outlet on the amp. I suspect the guitar would go through the input to output before going to the amp.

Question is: How do I modulate the amount of reverb effect? I imagine I need 1 or 2 pots somewhere in here with caps.

Also, what about shutting it off. Whould I need to disconnect the guitar and go straight to the amp...or could the signal go passively through the reverb.

I appreciate ideas. (even if they involve giving up on the whole idea...)

Best to all,

H20

So, I just bought a tube driven spring reverb unit from a Hammond organ. I understand that it's basically what was in the free standing Fender reverb units. There's an input and an output jack, two leads with male RCA connectors, and a power cord. I want to set it up as an external reverb for my Bassman head. The power is obvious, plugging into the courtesy outlet on the amp. I suspect the guitar would go through the input to output before going to the amp.

Question is: How do I modulate the amount of reverb effect? I imagine I need 1 or 2 pots somewhere in here with caps.

Also, what about shutting it off. Whould I need to disconnect the guitar and go straight to the amp...or could the signal go passively through the reverb.

I appreciate ideas. (even if they involve giving up on the whole idea...)

Best to all,

H20

Since you already have a reverb unit, you will probably want to build the circuit around it. Go to this site:

http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/

Input impedance is more important than output impedance, as the drive level to the reverb will have the most effect on how it will sound. Look under the "applications" section and try to determine the input impedance of your unit. The site also has various schematics for both drive and recovery sides of the reverb.

Most shutting off thingies ground the output of the reverb, or the output of the reverb control. Reverb is not a "pass through" type of effect. A portion of the raw signal is mixed in with the delayed output of the reverb. By grounding the reverb output, then you are left with the raw signal.

Hope this helps!!