What's Do Ya Think About This...

I've been thinking about making a hollowbody that the top and bottom join together like a violin or doublebass? If your wondering what I'm talking about take a look at this picture. See how the top overlaps the sides. Would there be any reason why I couldn't do that on a guitar? I know some might say that the binding adds strength, but what about the archtops without binding? Do they do that for the electric basses that look like violins? It seems to me that a bass or violin would have just as much pressure put on them as a guitar. If not more. Ever seem Jimbo (from the Reverend Horton Heat) stand on his?

I'm just wondering I think it would add a cool feature to my next hollowbody archtop.

The only problem I see with that is the fact that violins and doublebasses are not designed to sit on a person's leg. Having the weight of the guitar displaced over your leg with the top and back sticking out like that might become uncomfortable. I have thought the same thing myself...and that is why I figure'd it'd be inefficient.

That edge sticking out is easier to damage, catching on other harder edges. It seems like people are a little more clumsy/careless with guitars than violins. I do like the look. I've thought about edge treatments that look like that... maybe putting a bead on the edge of the top, with a darker binding below it to suggest the shadow.

Now, if you made the edge out of metal, it would end up looking pretty cool and it'd definitely be sturdy enough.

But I think a couple pieces of maple of a decent thickness (5 mm) would be sturdy enough too, especially if you don't allow the edge to protrude too much. You probably wouldn't want to drop the guitar too often though. :D

I'm not so sure the comfort thing is a big issue. It's not like the edges will be sharp, and there wouldn't be so much space between the two edges that one or the other would be able to bite down.