Squier To Stage-worthy

Smarty

Well, I'll start by saying that I'm no professional. In fact, this is my first project - a learning experience. My plan is to turn my 2004 Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster into something that I can use on stage with my friends in our new band. I am going to be refinishing it to match my 2005 Fender Stratocaster XII in a brilliant Lake Placid Blue.

I've already done a complete rewire. The lower tone control now works the bridge pickup and each tone control has its own capacitor. There are no ground loops now either. Hum has been reduced to a point where I can run it at 10 on my Frontman 15G (clean channel) without anything annoying. Also added, is a 0.001uf treble bleed.

My next step is to strip the original Navy Blue Metallic paint and route the control cavity a little wider. (the original is off-center and will create a ground loop with the pot shells against the cavity shielding) I will then (after learning to of course) spray it in Lake Placid Blue using a water-based laquer to be environmentally friendly.

The finishing enhancements will be a four-ply set of pickguard and tremolo cover in White Pearloid/W/B/W. I will then save my pennies for vintage-style tuning machines and custom shop pickups.

Here is what I have so far. (not much changed, just some new roller trees, five tremolo springs, and redone electronics) Any suggestions are welcome.

dcp06231wk.th.jpg

dcp06226eo.th.jpg

You may want to try some copper shielding in your guitar to reduce even more hum. It has done wonders in the past couple guitars I put some in. As for the pickups, why don't you try and do them yourself? Stewmac has a few kits for those single coil pickups. Found here. It would be a great learning experience and making your own pickups saves a TON of money. Oh, I am also refinishing an older squier bass, a link is in my profile, but a direct link can be found here. Keep us up to date!

Copper shielding is on my agenda. I must have forgotten to type it in. (rather long list for my first project, but I'm working under the supervision of professionals) I've been looking at the pickup winding machine on StewMac (one of my favourite window-shopping places) and have been considering it. Most of my friends have low-end knockoff guitars aswell, so purchasing one could be a good investment.

As of now I'm investigating the best way to remove the original finish. I'm unsure what kind it is though. To be safe, I'll be sanding it off. Just in case it's (for some wierd reason) a nitrocellulose lacquer, will a chemical mask be sufficient?

Edit:

I looked at your bass project. It looks very nice. In fact, it's going to be one amazing rig when finished. Good luck. I can't wait to see the end result.

Edited by Smarty

Use a palm sander carefully, or a hard rubber sanding block will work well. I used a sanding block and had great results, I didn't eff up any of the sealer too, it all came out great. Nitefly SA suggested using chemicals to remove the finish / paint on my other projects, but I have no clue what kind of chemicals. I also have no clue if this will remove the sealer, which will add another step to your refinishing process. I tried Acetone, Mineral Spirits, and Naptha on one of my guitars, none effected the finish. Mineral Spirits do work well for removing a very thin paint of coat, as does Acetone. I guess it just depends on the surface? I'm still learning.

Most manufacturers are using catalyzed finishes now. (ie. they are chemically inert) While being sturdy and environmentally friendly, they cannot be chemically removed. Hand-sanding is the only way (that I know of) to remove it successfully. It doesn't really bother me though. It's always amusing to see if there's a failed sunburst underneath, especially because the body is routed for an HSH setup. (unless Squier is that cheap that they would use only one body for their entire line)

I'll probably be toting the Kodak with me when I remove the finish. I'm working with a professional wood-worker throughout the cosmetic stage of the project so I can get some good photos of what equipment to use and how to use it.

actually my Squier have a humbucker - tube body, and was made in 2003 as far as i know.

it can go HHS \ HSH \ SSS with the right pickguard.

as for finishing it, i got no clue.

and for getting a winding machine, if you'r not going to make more than 10-20 pickups a month, i can't see a reason to buy it.

instead I think you rather read this : http://galileo.spaceports.com/~fishbake/fpickup/pickup.htm

and if you decide to go further on with this idea, try this : http://galileo.spaceports.com/~fishbake/counter/count.htm too.

you can check his homepage too for more insipring things.

further more, i know of not-so-few people who just use a simple electronic screwdriver (don't know the proper name, sorry) mounted to a table and with one hand leading the wire and with one hand controlling the speed.

a bit of a mess, more work, but less money :D

one more great thing to add to a strat guitar (from my expirience on my Squier) is a humbucker mock. never made to much experiment with that, but i know my middle in series with the neck kicks ass.

pretty easy to do so as well. I've posted a topic of my Squier wiring mods a few days ago, should be around the second page in the electronics forum.

Good luck getting the best result, Ron

Edited by Opencan